the fitness diaries

Jukebox_Jenny
Recipes!!
November 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Please use this thread to share TRIED and true, healthy recipes you enjoy.

Please don't post it if you haven't tried it. ;)

Replies

• Rachelz123
    November 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    Roasted Butternut Soup with Goat Cheese Toasts
    From Cooking Light

Most any winter squash will work in this recipe. We like butternut for the nutty, slightly sweet flavor it lends to the soup. Serve this paired with a hearty salad studded with nuts and seeds for a more filling entrée.

Yield:
    6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup soup and 1 toast)

Ingredients:
    1 (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    6 cups Roasted Vegetable Stock
    2 cups coarsely chopped peeled Yukon gold potatoes
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    6 (1-ounce) slices French bread baguette
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons honey

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool. Discard peel; mash pulp.

3. Preheat broiler.

4. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add squash, Roasted Vegetable Stock, and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.

5. Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Sprinkle about 4 teaspoons cheese on each slice; sprinkle evenly with chives.

6. Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure twice with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley and honey. Serve with toasts.

Nutrition Information:
    CALORIES: 292 ( from fat)
    FAT: 10.1 g (sat: 3 g, mono: 5.7 g, poly: 1.2 g)
    CARBOHYDRATE: 47.8 g
    FIBER: 5 g
    CALCIUM: 126 mg
    CHOLESTEROL: 7 mg
    IRON: 2.6 mg
    PROTEIN: 7.3 g
    SODIUM: 546
  • Rachelz123
    November 30, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    Teriyaki chickpeas with pineapple mango salsa

Ingredients

15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed

¼ cup teriyaki sauce (I make my own see below)

1 tbsp szechuan sauce (I omit this)

1 tbsp raw sugar (I omit this as well)

2 cups cooked brown rice

1 cup salsa

Instructions

Combine chickpeas, teriyaki, szechuan and sugar in a large frying pan. Allow everything to sit and 'marinate' at least 5 minutes (the longer the better). Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring regulary or until most of the liquid has absorbed, about 10 minutes. Spoon chickpeas over rice and top with fresh pineapple or mango salsa.

Chef's Note: If you want to create your own pineapple and mango salsa, mix equal parts chopped pineapple and mango with minced red onion, fresh cilantro, and lime juice to taste.

I make my own teriyaki sauce by mixing 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup ketchup, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and a pinch of basil.
  • Jukebox_Jenny
    December 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    I made hummus the other day!
    I took a bag of dried chick peas soaked and boiled them, then food processed them to death lol! While it was being ground up I added lemon juice, a few garlic cloves and oil.

I've been eating it on everything! Sliced veggies, wheat tortillas with veggies and cheese, even crackers or pita if you want. It's super good!
  • blueyedbaker
    December 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

I took a bag of dried chick peas soaked and boiled them, then food processed them to death lol! While it was being ground up I added lemon juice, a few garlic cloves and oil.

I've been eating it on everything! Sliced veggies, wheat tortillas with veggies and cheese, even crackers or pita if you want. It's super good!

I will have to try this recipe. Can I use the canned chick peas? They should work right?

• Jukebox_Jenny
    December 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Yep! Save some of the liquid from the can to loosen it up.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

I will have to try this recipe. Can I use the canned chick peas? They should work right?

• blueyedbaker
    December 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Ok thanks! I have everything so I think I'll make it and snack on that instead of those darn cookies we made!

• Jukebox_Jenny
    December 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    Right?? This time of year I LOVE to bake so if I don't have something else around I'll be munching on cookies, breads, pie...

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Ok thanks! I have everything so I think I'll make it and snack on that instead of those darn cookies we made!

• Lydlou02
    December 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Is that all you put in it? I thought hummus needed tahinni paste. I've got a jar of tahinni and two cans of garbanzo beans just waiting for me to get/make some pitas.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

• Jukebox_Jenny
    December 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    I didn't have tahini but yeah, it generally calls for that too.

Quoting Lydlou02:

Is that all you put in it? I thought hummus needed tahinni paste. I've got a jar of tahinni and two cans of garbanzo beans just waiting for me to get/make some pitas.

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

• Rachelz123
    December 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Greek yogurt chicken

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese - grated
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2) Combine greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper in a bowl.

3) Line baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

4) Coat each chicken breast in greek yogurt mixture and place on foiled baking sheet.

5) Bake for 45 minutes.

I suggest broiling it for a min or two at the end to brown a bit.

the fitness diaries