are you into renaissance and sca

twosweets
Question/topic for us newbie rennies(piog)
September 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM

just a piece of information I thought would be good to ask for for us newbie rennies like myself...

How do you put together a renaissance costume? First off, I know it depends on what "class" you are wanting to portray, so a little bit more indepth... How do you put together peasant garb? etc etc, like what pieces of a costume are needed, including period underthings. I have a chemise and an overdress, have my eye on another overdress, but I know there's some other elements that go into a costume.

I want to get a corset - after I have the baby of course, which will be before my area's renaissance events come into season, but other than that i have no bloody idea where to go from there. any pointers on garb would be phenomenally appreciated!!

Replies

• Raine2007
    September 26, 2008 at 11:36 AM

If you want to get a Corset first make sure that it has metal boning and not plastic. they might seem to work the same but after a couple of hours the plastic will loss it's shape and look more like you than you want. If you want the garment to hold it's shape go with metal but be prepared to have excellent posture while wearing it. also try it out an hour or two at a time before you wear it to an all day event so you know how tight or lose you need it in order to stay comfortable. I personally own three and unless you are use to it you wont be comfortable.

I too am fairly new. I haven't had the opportunity to partake in as much as I'd like. But I have found that it all depends on the type of garb as to how period it makes you feel.  If you go medieval with the long flowing skirts and sleeves that drag the ground you can actually move really well (important when chasing kids)and it is a fairly easy outfit to get in and out of with minimal binding.Braid your hair or ad a covering, some ballerina flats, and if so inclined I like white tights and there you go. But if you go with the more Renassance look the poet shirt the separate skirt and of course the bodice to go over, can be far restricting than you think the bodice if made right acts more like a corset making it hard to bend and the skirts tend to be longer make it necessary to hold them, with this I tend to bind my hair and where period like boots (can't afford the good ones yet.) .Also take in consideration the weather when you make garb, the world was literally a cold place when ppl wore these on a regular base so keep that in mind when you pick your fabric. Also if you don't do a lot of sewing and are making your garb I would start with more forgiving fabrics and work my way up. Also don't ignore the Wal-Mart $1 bin you never know what you will find that just might work. Bare in mind these are just my observations form my own experiances.

• twosweets
    September 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM

Thanks! That's an awesome start and awesome advice! I for one will definitely keep all this in mind. (the walmart 1$ bin is my FAVORITE!!)

• Czarena
    by Czarena
    October 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM

if you wanted to be accurate and I believe you mentioned that. You would need an underdress/kirtle before your overdress.

And if I read correctly that you want to be accurate, I would need to know what you mean by overdress. there are many time periods within 'renn" that do not use corsets. In some spots things changed by the decade, some things didn't change for 50 years.

Can you narrow it down a bit more than "peasant"?

I should also point out that the typical "ren faire garb" is generally not historically accurate. Which is FINE if that's what you want.

help me to help you  ;) tell me more about what you want as an end result

• twosweets
    October 11, 2008 at 4:49 PM

not necessarily accurate accurate - if i were going to be joining the SCA i know i'd have to be closer to accurate than just going to ren faires, but alas, i've decided that maybe I should just have fun since i can't make it to 90 percent of the SCA happenings anyway.

so more or less, I guess I just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb at my next ren faire. I don't want to go as nobility or a higher class quite yet... i'll wait for that until i'm more comfortable with going. so something that doesn't attract quite as much attention

Quoting Czarena:

if you wanted to be accurate and I believe you mentioned that. You would need an underdress/kirtle before your overdress.

And if I read correctly that you want to be accurate, I would need to know what you mean by overdress. there are many time periods within 'renn" that do not use corsets. In some spots things changed by the decade, some things didn't change for 50 years.

Can you narrow it down a bit more than "peasant"?

I should also point out that the typical "ren faire garb" is generally not historically accurate. Which is FINE if that's what you want.

help me to help you  ;) tell me more about what you want as an end result

are you into renaissance and sca

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts