are you into renaissance and sca

BndngOvrBckwds
Why do we love the past?
May 4, 2008 at 7:31 PM
I think that we love the past because things are so complicated in our everyday lives. I love to think about my ancestors lives. My people were from Cornwall, England and Immagrated here in the 1700. My other people came from Ireland in the late 1600.
 I am very fascinated with my Celtic heritage. The more I read the more I am able to act the part when I am dressed up and ready for the Faire. I am not a part of sca, but I am definetly going to find out if there is a chapter in my city.
I hope that many of you post a responce to my question.
WHY DO WE LOVE THE PAST?

If we all answer this question, then we have a better chance of keeping this group alive
So be it!
Brandy(Gwenavyre)

Replies

• DarcieJo
    May 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    I have always been fasinated by history...no matter the region or culture. I settled on the middle ages and the SCA because I still have all of those romantic ideas floating around in my head. While I have studied and know the truth, it is still my favorite time period.
  • alexandria2
    May 8, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    i like it because it fascinates me and i find it very intresting for the sca and for the faire i love it for the entertainment. but its a part of everyday life and how we got here so i like to remember those and the time of how we got here.
  • Vickie2008-63
    May 17, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    I have always enjoyed learning about the past. The Renaissance era is the best period for me. The nobility and the way of life in that period if find just really interesting.
  • Sorechia
    May 23, 2008 at 10:34 PM
    I have been thinking about this question since it was first posted and I couldn't come up with a definite reason.... I finally figured it out. Its the clothes. I LOVE THEM!! I wish I could dress like that all the time! :)
  • Czarena
    by Czarena
    June 6, 2008 at 2:06 AM
     Come for the clothes, stay for the people :)
    Quoting Sorechia:

I have been thinking about this question since it was first posted and I couldn't come up with a definite reason.... I finally figured it out. Its the clothes. I LOVE THEM!! I wish I could dress like that all the time! :)

• twosweets
    September 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM

History has always fascinated me - The renaissance era in particular. I love the clothes hehe. not only that, but maybe we're old souls?

• ljdsnow
    by ljdsnow
    September 12, 2008 at 2:22 PM

Well as a side note yeah WOW.

Okay I love the past because of the simpler time and because of the importance of character and hard work.  Our society to me has in some ways lost civility.  You knew the rules to play by then and know ya don't.  My DH and I are traditionalists in many senses and I enjoy it.  I have no romantic views of the hard work ( I love to cook, sew, crochet, knit, and do needlepoint especially because of the time and work I have to put in but how great it turns out) but I do like the Chivalry aspectic.  We need to learn from our past to not only understand ourselves but to also learn from the mistakes or we are doomed to repeat them.  I love our gaelic and dutch roots. 

• twosweets
    September 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Quoting ljdsnow:

Well as a side note yeah WOW.

Okay I love the past because of the simpler time and because of the importance of character and hard work.  Our society to me has in some ways lost civility.  You knew the rules to play by then and know ya don't.  My DH and I are traditionalists in many senses and I enjoy it.  I have no romantic views of the hard work ( I love to cook, sew, crochet, knit, and do needlepoint especially because of the time and work I have to put in but how great it turns out) but I do like the Chivalry aspectic.  We need to learn from our past to not only understand ourselves but to also learn from the mistakes or we are doomed to repeat them.  I love our gaelic and dutch roots. 

Hear hear!! I totally agree with you 100% on the hard work aspect of it! People knew how to work back then because they had to to survive. I hate the ideas the younger people have of being handed EVERYTHING for NOTHING! My sister is like this and can't hold a job because she can't handle being told what to do and can't handle rules. I hate it!! When my kids are old enough I plan to find a ranch or something like that they can help on (if we don't have one ourselves by then) to teach them these all too important values of hard work. 

• mothervixen
    November 5, 2008 at 10:30 PM
    I myself agree with everyone. Those were simpler times and if a woman was a little overweight they treated her no diffrent than someone who was thin. The renisance and midevil (sp?) era's had culture. Music, arts and diffrent types of crafts. Men were men and women were women (IMO and no offence to anyone). It was a time of Shakesphere and if you had time and money you could go and see a Shakesphereian play. In fact my DH and I are trying real hard to raise our DD with the knowledge of those times and let her know what the Cladagh (sp?) stands for, cause that's what her father and i have based our marriage on, friendship, loyalitry and love.
  • 4StarMom
    March 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM

For me - it's a sense of belonging.  When I put on my garb and set foot at the faire - I'm home. 

My one question is, though, how do I get involved more deeply than being a visitor to the faire?  How do I become a part of it all?

are you into renaissance and sca

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts