Mom's with Fibromyalgia, MS, or Chronic Fatigue

flutterby.16
Sciatica and Fibro Pain
February 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM
I had an epidural for the sciatica pain Jan. 12,th. They usually last 3-4 months. Well this time it only lasted 2 weeks. I called my pain doctor and went back to see him. He said since I have been getting epidurals for s long, he was going to use a new treatment (new for me)  I had 6 shots in different areas of my back and he finally gave me Lyrica for the Fibro which should also help my back. He said take 1 to 2 capsules 3 times a day. Well Instead of starting out on 1,  I took 2. Wow what a reaction I had. I was a bumbling idiot. I could not find words to talk, I was like a drunk (without the fun of getting there), I had to go to bed as I kept walking into walls. LOL My husband was so worried.  Well I changed that and started out with 1 capsule three times a day and today I have started back on 2 capsules. So far I am not that bumbling idiot again.
My doctor said if this doesn't work he will do it one more time and if it still doesn't work then he is going to do electric shock treatment. I don't think I would like that last one! Oh boy some thing to look forward to huh?
Has anyone else had any reactions to Lyrica?
Marian

Replies

• WWLD
    by WWLD
    April 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM

OMG!!  I hope all is well now?  I am new , so I am going through all posts & not for nothing... Yours was the first I came upon & not only was I like ... is she alright, but at the same time you gave me a laugh I so needed!  Thank you! I hope if I can be of any help you will write me too. I've never tried any meds yet, but do NOT take ULTRAM! My brother had a GRAND MAUL SEIZURE from it. Scarriest thing ever!  Again.. I hope you are better now & have the Lyrica under control if still on it? Keep posting.
    ~God Bless~
      Lisa
  • flutterby.16
    April 23, 2008 at 1:28 PM
    UPDATE   Well I went back on the Lyrica and I got to enjoy the side effects of gaining weight and swelling up like a balloon. I have decided today to go off it until I see my doctor next month and just take the Zanaflex and Vicodin for the pain. I was also put on Prednisone for a week and started that today. Some of the swelling has gone down.
    Oh I took Ultrum in the early 90's. It did nothing for me. My husband is on it now for his back. He has the heart of a 20 yr. old and he will be 71 in Aug. He has done well on it but is now finding it doesn't work like it did at first. He is suppose to ask his doctor next month to put him on 800 mg of Motrin.  I am also on that and Flexeril, Cymbalta helps the pain too, My list of meds is so long (it could be my 3 meals a day)for the Fibro and injured sciatica nerve in my back.
    I have a high tolerance to meds however my sister who also has Fibro has a low tolerance to them so she has to start out on very low doses.

Just remember that everyone is different. What works for my sister does not work for me and vice  versa. You just need a doctor you trust.

I trained my family doctor at the time as I went to some conferences that the researchers were at and I learned a lot from them. then I came home and taught my doctor what was going on at the time. As a mater of fact it was my sister that diagnosed me!  When I told my doctor what my sister had said. his jaw dropped and said he believes she is right and it was right in front of his face all along.

My sister went to a doctor for Internal medicine and Infectious Diseases.
    That is probably your best bet as many family doctors aren't as familiar with this disease..

Mom's with Fibromyalgia, MS, or Chronic Fatigue

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts