Natural Birth & Parenting

3crowleyboys
I'm freaking out! I don't know what to do!!!
August 22, 2007 at 5:56 PM
I have got to decide FAST!
I live in a small town and haven't been able to find an OB that I am happy with, so I chose a homebirth midwife. I have alot of prefrences that I demand at labor and delivery. I"m sure most of you do to. That's why I decide for a midwife, because she would support me in those.
At the same time I also think I would feel more comfortable in a hospital. Yes, I'm doubting myself. And I hate that. I want to have security and know that my body can do this. BUT I also don't want to be away from the kids and I would also like them to be somewhat present for the birth.
I've met with two ob's and one midwife. I DID NOT like the ob's and feel somewhat okay with the midwife. But I feel like I need to decide soon.
With my last pregnancy I went with a midwife till month seven then switched to a doc, but in a different town an hour away. I don't want to do that again, I want a relationship with my provider.
WHAT DO I DO??!!!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Replies

• Truus18
    by Truus18
    August 26, 2007 at 11:59 PM
    Hello there and welcome!
    First off don't stress yourself out too much, whatever you decide to do is the way things were meant to go!
    I changed practioners when I was 8 months and that was with my 1st!
    Go with the person who seems to be at least  80% with you. Birth is such a difficult thing to predict  because it's so different every time.
    If you feel that one of them will support you and not work against you during the final and most important stages of labor, than that's the one.
    Or maybe if you write down on a piece of paper what is most important to you and then write down who comes close and who falls short.
    I'd say the one who comes closest wins.
    Good luck  figuring it all out, and find comfort in knowing you're not alone!!!!!

• doulala
    by doulala
    September 7, 2007 at 2:35 AM
    Some Midwives are intervention-friendly and some OBs are very hands-off. I think that their title can sometimes catagorize them unfairly. I definitely believe that midwives, in general, have a much better success rate for happier & healthier outcomes (the stats say this, too). But if you don't click with your provider, find one that makes a better connection. A doula is an awesome go-between liason to represent you in your preferences, also. You may or may not regret something... but you need to do what feels right now so that you can move on to the next level. Research your options some more, maybe there is a better fit out there. :) Good luck!
  • isaacsmommy68
    January 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

You need to find a "Baby Friendly Hospital" they have to meet certian standards. I am lucky to work at one and birthed at one. My doc pushed the birth plan. He also told me if I did not like the doc there that day to ask for the midwife. You do have to let them know what you want and have your partner advocate for you while you are in labor.

• Sarah725
    January 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    I would go with the midwife. Gl
  • momofcrazypants
    January 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

What about birthing centers? We live in a rural area, the nearest city is an hour away. But the nearest birth center is 2.5 hours away! Either way, midwife or doctor, go with the one that you are the most comfortable with. My last doc followed my wishes and didn't do any intervention with DS, we have since moved and I opted with a OB again, but love the one we found. He's very supportive with our decisions.

• Mrs.Salz
    January 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

This is a 5 year old post.... no need to keep replying!

• peaches_04
    January 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM
    Lol op is probably like what the heck:)

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

This is a 5 year old post.... no need to keep replying!

Natural Birth & Parenting