Natural Birth & Parenting

lizzeeclaire
Pushing?
February 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM
Hey Ladies,
I have a strange question.  Why do some women push for hours and others push for minutes? 
I pushed for less than 5 minutes with both my babies, and they were both BIG 8 plus pound babies.  I am only 5'2 and average build, so I know size has nothing to do with it.  Just curious.....

Replies

• doulala
    by doulala
    February 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    It think it could be several things like the woman's position, the baby's position, drugs, openness (abililty to "let go"), state of mind (fear, support), genetics.
  • IBME
    by IBME
    February 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM
    Yeah, I think it is alot to do with state of mind, environment, ecetera. And also sometimes woman are 'forced' open to make it quicker. Did you tear at all with your babies? Sweets was 9 lbs and I pushed for like 3 hours! Didn't tear though.
  • doulala
    by doulala
    February 19, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    Quoting IBME:

Did you tear at all with your babies?

With my 9-pounder I did, but I was COACHED through pushing which is known to do that. :-( My 10-pound baby I had NO tears and did it all on my own!! :-D
  • lizzeeclaire
    February 19, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    With my 1st, the asshole Dr gave me an episiotomy ( I didn't know the Dr and he came in at the last minute and cut me without warning), I did tear with my 2nd, I ended up having stitches in 3 different spots.   The Dr with my 2nd was great, he tried to help stretch me, but I couldn't stop pushing, my ds was coming way too fast, I knew I was tearing, but couldn't slow down.
  • doulala
    by doulala
    February 19, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    Quoting lizzeeclaire:

With my 1st, the asshole Dr gave me an episiotomy ( I didn't know the Dr and he came in at the last minute and cut me without warning),

That is illegal! Wow! I have been doing a lot of reading about episiotomies lately. They don't seem justifiable. (*In VERY rare circumstances, maaaaybe.) But many doctors do/did them routinely! Some Dr.s have 30% or higher rates. The more practiced mediolateral (angled) cut increases post-partum hemmorhaging 450% and 33% for the midline (straight down) cut. It only speeds up labor a contraction or two-- not worth the many complications that are involved, like incontinence and sexual displeasure. :-( It's SO not worth it. AND to have not been warned or given permission?!? That would qualify as grounds for a law suit... It makes me so upset!! I am sure you are even more so! :-(
  • lizzeeclaire
    February 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    Yeah, I was very upset, I filed a HUGE complaint with the Hospital (which I didn't return to for my 2nd delivery).  I had lots of pain with sex for almost 1 year!   I should have sued, he cut me while the baby was crowning, I didn't know what was going on, he told me to stop pushing and I told him to "F" off!  Next time I will be having a home birth!
  • doulala
    by doulala
    February 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    Quoting lizzeeclaire:

he cut me while the baby was crowning,

This could have hurt your baby, OMG!! That's just awful. >:- o
  • Naomidoula
    February 19, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Quoting doulala:

It think it could be several things like the woman's position, the baby's position, drugs, openness (abililty to "let go"), state of mind (fear, support), genetics.
    I agree 100% with you, but another thing that could keep a woman from pushing effectively is her fatigue and energy levels. I labored for four days from start to finish, and it took me probably an 1.5 hours, maybe more to push my baby out. I was lying half on my side, half on my back. I didn't want to be in that position, but I was too exhausted to hold myself up, that I didn't think it was safe for me to push on the birth stool. It helps to avoid this situation by getting rest in early labor, and to keep eating and drinking through labor. That way you'll have more energy in the end, and it will be easier to push the baby out faster.
  • millerbabe07
    February 20, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I think a lot of it has to do with positions. I pushed with Jacob in a squatting position in a tub for 40 minutes 9lb baby no tearing but i think  soaking in a tub helps with the no tearing. My mom pushed only three to five times with each of her babies but had to have between 50 to 100 stitches each time, were my aunt pushed for 4 hours with 7lb babies and had no tearing. I think part of it is positions, how much energy you have by the time you get to the pushing stage and how much confidence and control you have about your body.

• MamaJane
    February 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    I wasn't aloud mobility with any of mine.  On my back through out labor and pushing, however with # 3 I labored on my hands and knees.  I only turned around to push.  It's just what felt best and I had an awesome nurse with that labor.  My kids weighed (in order) 6.6, 9.8 and 11.11.  I'm almost 5'5 and weigh 115 non pregnant.  So, no, size has nothing to do with it.  I pushed no more then 10 minutes with any of my kids.  I did tear, a little with #1, 3-4th degree with #2 and episiotomy with #3 (she didn't ask me either).  I had no epi with any of them but nubain with the first 2.  I think genetics was the only factor with me (and the tiredness.  All 3 labors lasted 2 hours.  I can't imagine pushing effectively after 4 days of labor).  My mother also had quick labors.  And it just goes to show that what allows easy baby delivery is not visible.  I have deceptively wide hips.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts