Natural Birth & Parenting

fairygirl13
havent yet......
February 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM
i havent given birht yet, but i would love some advice form those who have. i know i dont want anythng for pain, but what helpped you?

Replies

• doulala
    by doulala
    February 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM
    Absolute trust. Complete confidence. I know that a woman's body is designed to make the baby (check!) and therefore can birth the baby. Billions of humans on Earth prove that birth does work. Having midwives tell me that what I was doing & feeling is right & fine helped a LOT, too. My DH followed my lead-- never an obstacle, also great! But mostly trust!
  • PhilsBabyMama
    February 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM
    The best advice I can give you is to birth at home or at a birth center.  I had a natural waterbirth with my first (and only) and am so glad I did.  I had a ton of support and the people around  me (SO, Mom, my midwife and doula) weren't trying to push drugs on me.  I think it would have been much harder if a million different people were busting in my room offering me drugs.   This may sound obvious, but labor hurts, is hard and can be scary if you don't know what to expect.(and with your first you won;t :)  )  It'd be easy to have a moment of weakness or self doubt if you're not in a natural birth friendly environment.

Also, laboring and giving birth in water was amazing.  I definitely recommend that. 

Good luck!
  • MarigoldsMama
    February 11, 2008 at 10:53 PM
    My best advice is to just trust your body and relax into the birthing process. Breathing deeply and consciously letting your body go really helped me. Tightening up against the contractions contributes to pain. Just letting them wash over you helps a lot.
    I used Hypnobirthing techniques which really helped me to stay focused, loose and relaxed.
    Good luck, Mama!
  • fairygirl13
    February 11, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Quoting PhilsBabyMama:

The best advice I can give you is to birth at home or at a birth center.  I had a natural waterbirth with my first (and only) and am so glad I did. 
    i wish i could, but im high risk due to MTHFR, having surgery at 16 weeks, almost losing the baby a few times, i also have hyperemesis, and i have been in for preterm labor at 23 weeks.

also colorado only has one birthing center, and the hospital they use in emergency, is not one i can use because i work for their rival hospital (centura) and can only use Centura facilities. so im stuck at that and the hospital i have to use does not do water births, but will let me stay in the tub until im ready to push, so thats a plus. but i would love a water birth.
  • Mzjelybely
    February 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM

I have heard several people say not to bother taking the birthing classes because you'll know what to do when thetime comes.  I recommend taking thehm anyways.  What got me through was understanding the physiology of what was happening in my body, and how I had to cooperate to help it go faster.  The method of cooperation is up to you and when the time comes you'll know what to do, but knowing what my body was up to helped me out a lot.  I had my baby in the hospital, and told them I'd rather try to avoid the epidural.  They understood and were very supportive. 

I'm going to try for a home birth next time, but I didnt have a bad experience in the hospital... besides if you stay for a couple days they give you free food all day and you have nurses to take care of you and baby.  :) 

• EuroMomTX
    February 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM
    Eat. Eat while you still feel like it. Towards the end I was really running out of steam and if I could do one thing over it's eat more in the beginning when I still felt like eating and also stock stuff I actually like.
    For some reason I had string cheese as my labor snack. But I don't even like cheese that much on a regular day. Much less when in labor. Next time I'll have apple sauce, bananas, oatmeal cookies, avocados, whatever. Just no cheese!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts