Natural Birth & Parenting

somuchlove4U
Increase milk supply. **Added more information.
August 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I thought I had dried up, I haven't. What can I take/eat to increase my milk supply? 

**About 5 years ago or more, I had a breast reduction. My midwife let me know that because of the reduction I probably wouldn't produce enough milk. The first week of baby's life I did nothing but breastfeed. She seemed satisfied, at the same time she was always on my boob. When we went to way her she had lost more than 10 ounces. She went from 8 10 to 7 3. I know babies lose weight at the beginning just not this much. Midwife suggested we suppliment and pump. So I supplimented 2-3 ounces. I put her on my boob first and then feed her formula. She was gaining weight again. By the fourth week she was drinking more formula than breast milk. I would always put her on my breast first and then when she was done I would give her a bottle. She was eating four ounces of formula at the time. I was also pumping. All I could get when I pumped was 1/2 an ounce, if that much. I started pumping again last night and I'm not even getting that, but I'm not giving up again. I'm going out today to buy some fenugreek. I already have oatmeal. :) I do drink plenty of water and I will continue that. I've also started putting her back to the breast she'll latch on for a little while and then get really fussy, but I'm going to keep trying.  I didn't realize it takes months to dry up. Thank you ladies!! :)

She is now 6 weeks old.  

Replies

• hriabywx4
    August 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    Honestly the #1 best thing to increase supply is to demand a supply. Best way to do that is put baby to the breast.

If you can give some more details about what made you think your supply was low that would help with giving a more precise answer.
  • somuchlove4U
    August 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    She stopped latching on. No matter what I tried she wouldn't stay on. I just assumed she wasn't getting anything. That was two weeks ago. I just pumped for the first time and was able to get less than half an ounce.

Quoting hriabywx4:

Honestly the #1 best thing to increase supply is to demand a supply. Best way to do that is put baby to the breast.

If you can give some more details about what made you think your supply was low that would help with giving a more precise answer.
  • GoodyBrook
    August 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Babies become more efficient "suckers" as they grow.  My LO now (7 months) is sometimes satisfied with 30 second meals.  How he gets enough in that time is beyond me, but as long as he continues to have lots of wet diapers, I'm just going with the flow!

Put babe back to the breast, and your supply will increase...

• SeattleBabyBump
    August 19, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    Pumping is not an accurate indication of supply. Are you supplementing with formula?

Put baby skin to skin for 24 hours and nurse on demand. Your milk will increase the next day.
  • hriabywx4
    August 19, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    How old was lo when she stopped latching? Had you been giving bottles prior to that?
  • melindabelcher
    August 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    A little more background info would be a great help. Like age when baby stopped latching, bottles/pacifiers? Number of wet/poop diapers when baby wasnt latching.
    Also a little info for you is that it takes months of no simulation to "dry up". You can't produce fine one week and be dry the next.
    To increase supply. Drink plenty of water. Pump every 2-3hrs for aprox 20min. Try to get baby to latch at every feeding, watch for early hunger cues if baby is crying you've waited to long. Make sure bottles are 2-3oz every 2-3hrs fed slowly burping every oz. fenugreek is available otc and will help increase supply. Google search dosage but I believe it's 3cap 3 times a day but you have to smell like maple syrup to know you are taking enough.
    Steal cut oatmeal every day.
  • tabi_cat1023
    August 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I thought I had dried up, I haven't. What can I take/eat to increase my milk supply? 

**About 5 years ago or more, I had a breast reduction. My midwife let me know that because of the reduction I probably wouldn't produce enough milk. sometimes but not always trueThe first week of baby's life I did nothing but breastfeed. She seemed satisfied, at the same time she was always on my boob. When we went to way her she had lost more than 10 ounces.10% is the worry not 10 OZ! She went from 8 10 ok normal loss would be 13.8ozto 7 3. I know babies lose weight at the beginning just not this muchyeah thats way too low. Midwife suggested we suppliment and pump. So I supplimented 2-3 ouncesWOAH after each feed? thats a HUGE amount especially at a week old! Did your midwife not tel you how much a normalfeed is?. I put her on my boob first and then feed her formula. She was gaining weight again. By the fourth week she was drinking more formula than breast milkwell she actually was from the beginning of supplementing. I would always put her on my breast first and then when she was done I would give her a bottle. She was eating four ounces of formula at the time.a full feed is not even that much at a month old!! I was also pumping. All I could get when I pumped was 1/2 an ounce, if that muchthats actually GOOD. I started pumping again last night and I'm not even getting that, but I'm not giving up againpumping doesnt show much honestly, it shows what you can pump!. I'm going out today to buy some fenugreekGOOD take 12 a day. I already have oatmeal. :) I do drink plenty of water and I will continue that. I've also started putting her back to the breast she'll latch on for a little while and then get really fussy, but I'm going to keep trying.yeah this is because shes used to immediate milk I didn't realize it takes months to dry up. Thank you ladies!! :)

She is now 6 weeks old.  

I feel very very sad that no one gave you the right info.  If you supplement the BEST way is small amounts using a supplemental nursing system.  Before supplementing you could have tried a supplement called More milk special blend with goats rue because goats rue help build ducts.  In fact your midwife shouldve had yo uon that when pregnant.  I would recommend seeing a LC because obviously your midwife has led you astray though she meant well.  I would checkout www.bfar.org too! Get a supplemental nursing system and nurse for ever single feed.  Slowly lower the formula amounts overtime.  You may never get to EBF but theres no reason your LO would need such high amounts of formula.  You can do it momma!

• Sarah725
    August 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

That's great that your still trying, keep it up!!!

• hriabywx4
    August 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    Tabi-cat1023 gives excellent info! :)
  • GoodyBrook
    August 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM

If you supplement, can you not do it with an SNS?  This seems like it would force babe to work for her meal AND give you the skin-to-skin that will promote more production...

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN