Natural Birth & Parenting

Cafe Jenn
'Natural Summer Solutions, Tips & Fun' - Upcycled Wind Chimes
June 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Today's activity is upcycled wind chimes.

The soft, gentle sound that comes from a wind chime can be very relaxing. Today we'll teach you how to make one with common household supplies.

Materials needed:

Silver utensils (I used forks and knives)

A fork or branch (make sure it can hold a little weight) to hang utensils from

Pipe cleaners, wire or heavy string

Beads (optional)

Hot glue gun or glue (if hanging outside be sure the glue can withstand the elements)

Directions: 

If using a fork as the hanger for this, you'll want to bend the tines as shown in photo above.

Wrap pipe cleaner, wire or string around the top of the utensil that will hang from the fork or branch several times making sure it is tight. Put a small amount of glue on the utensil where the piper cleaner wraps around.

Add beads where you'd like. Wrap pipe cleaner around fork tine or branch, add a small amount of glue to keep it from slipping.

Repeat this process for each utensil until all tines have a utensil hanging from it or you have as many as you'd like hanging from the branch.

Is this something you would try with your kids? Have you ever made a wind chime?

Replies

• JoJoBean8
    June 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM

We made one of those last year. DD loved it.

• jsbuck
    by jsbuck
    June 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Cute idea.  We love windchimes, but have never made any.

• AspensMama1537
    June 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    I have never made a wind chime. They always make me think of my grandma. She loves them. This would be a neat thing to make for her.
  • Brieshon
    June 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    Maybe.. My husband loves wind chimes,but the metal ones grate on my nerves! I like the quieter wooden ones ok. :)
  • Plus-size-mommy
    June 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    We have never made wind chimes but we've made ice chimes in the winter lol! We put water in pie plates and swirl it with food coloring, place a sturdy piece of string in the water (form a loop for hanging) and then freeze. Once frozen, hang from porch.
  • Jenn8604
    June 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Too bad I don't have anywhere to put it. the awning over the front door is out the door would hit it and knock it down and we have no trees.
  • AudlyLuvly
    June 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    We made one from old keys!
  • sj3starz
    June 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    I don't think I'd use silverware. Maybe the key idea that someone else posted though. :-)
  • bmw29
    by bmw29
    June 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    I'm not a huge fan of metal wind chimes so I probably won't be doing this one. We do have 2 on the porch though. One is bamboo and one is carved from a coconut.
  • smileydawn
    June 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    I'm with a pp I don't like metal wind chimes. I love wooden woods. Maybe we'll try to make a wooden one instead.

Natural Birth & Parenting