Natural Birth & Parenting

December_mom
We're struggling to get our children to be organized and keep their rooms clean!
May 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM

We're struggling to get our children to be organized and keep their rooms clean. Do you have any tips that would help?

surrender

Replies

• larissalarie
    May 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Is the rest of the home organized and clean? Have they grown up seeing you be organized? Step one is always the parents modeling the desired behavior.

Next you're going to have to teach them and make it easy by giving them the proper tools. Go through their rooms (or playroom) and edit their things down to an easily manageable amount. Toss or store excess.
    Then instead of something like a big toy chest where everything is heaped together and you've gotta make a mess to find a toy,buy those shelves with many small pull out bins to organize and make things easier to find. Do the same sort of thing for arts & crafts, and an open shelve for larger items.

Once you show them what organized looks like, it's all about you following through on making them actually do it, like anything! Remind them frequently throughout the day to put things away as they finish and then go make sure they're doing it. If they refuse to obey, then you take their things away making sure they know that having that is a privilege and refusal to properly care for it means it gets packed away for a time.
  • nikzup03
    May 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    Struggling? Like them cleaning up after themselves is a normal thing? Pshh. It's a daily "battle" I hope they get it by the time they live on their own. Just keep going. It needs to be a normal thing, but I struggle keeping up with the cleaning/picking up... But I'm also 29 wks pregnant with twins, so everything is twice as hard and tiring... My oldest (6) will finally get her room clean, then it like the next day a disaster again, same with putting clothes away. It's a daily chore to say the least.
  • Mrs.Salz
    May 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM

It was annoying and time consuming at first but we had DS put one toy/toy set away before taking out another one. It took some time but eventually became habit.

I organized the room with plastic bins and a basket for misc items and periodically go through everything and get rid of toys he doesn't play with anymore.

We also put cleaning up toys into our bedtime routine so the house is cleaned, but it helps a lot that most things get picked up throughout the day so there isn't a lot to clean up at night.

• Sarah725
    May 7, 2013 at 5:26 PM

That's always a battle here.  Maybe a chart with stickers depending on there age or an allowence.

• tabi_cat1023
    May 7, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Basically I have 2 ADHD/ADD kids and keeping them organized is impossible.  Then my other sonn has sensory processing disorder and he likes things neat and clean lol.  My 3 year old is just a dickens and loves messes.

We try to give everything a place, use rubbermaid tubs with pictures/words to label them and try to avoid toys in their rooms

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts