Natural Birth & Parenting

3kidz123
Those who ONLY breastfeed
May 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

In another post I wrote a few women mentioned that they nurse the baby ONLY. No bottles even with breast milk, just breast feeding.

I honestly didn't know that was an option, is it? How do you handle family...tell them they can't take the baby for more than an hour or so? I'm interested in how it works for your family, how you get free time, how long you nurse for, how long before someone else can take the baby for the day, and what happens if there's an emergancy and your baby doesn't know how or refuses the bottle?

Thank you for your storys and info!

Replies

• mrsrobin
    May 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Lol. i Don't Leave My Baby Their First Year. Not A Big Deal.
  • Lynette
    by Lynette
    May 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    As long as baby is EBF they go with me where ever I go. I get alone time at home taking a bath, hiding out in the bedroom while Dh wrangles the kids. DH will bring me baby when he needs to nurse. I go on bike rides, cell phone in my pocket so DH can call if the baby needs to nurse. 10 years, 4kids and I have never had an emergency that required a bottle. Once a doc told me to pump & dump because I was on an antibiotic, I laughed at him and told him to find a different med to put me on. I breastfeed till at least 2yrs old, but solids come into play making it easier to leave without baby for longer periods. I do like to get out every so often, I take baby with me, babywearing makes this much easier.
  • momma4xover
    May 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I do this... Its not that big of a deal, I just take baby with me when I go places. We don't leave baby on date nights till they are a LOT older. I think my last one got a bottle maybe 2-3 times in 18 months because of meds I was on... but that's about all. I nursed my 3rd till she was over two, and I had two nursing at the same time then because our 4th was born when 3rd was 18 months. I even flew to pick up my son a few times, just took the baby with! :)

• tuckermum
    May 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    I feed DS every 2 hrs. He is almost 4 months Ive only been away for maybe 30 mins. I plan to nurse for at least a year. So he wont be really going anywhere without me and I take him everywhere with me.
  • Mommy2justone
    May 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

When my daughter was about 6 months old she started eating some foods other than breastmilk and I was able to leave her for a 2 hour movie with a babysitter. 

• notjstanothrmom
    May 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    My kids flat out refused bottles.
  • tyrelsmom
    May 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    I just don't leave them, really. I don't have a lot of places I need to go I can't take my baby. Usually around 8 months I can go for a few hours without worrying. By a year they eat enough that I can go out for the day. At that point they're drinking from a sippy as well, of course.
  • JadeTigr7
    May 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I just don't leave my baby, at least not in the first year really.  Occasionally I'll make a quick trip to the store or something, less than a half an hour, but otherwise, baby usually just goes with me.

If there's an emergency, my best friend had her baby a month before mine.  She'll nurse my baby if needed.  My free time, right now, is after all the kids are in bed, including baby, and I sew or play on the computer or whatever. 

• BridgetMc
    May 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    It's easy for me to do. Just take baby with me. My husband has always been good to let me get out of the house twice a week to teach my Zumba classes and that let's me burn off steam, release stress and get some cardio and toning all at the same time. Now that my littlest is almost 15 months old we have left the girls with my in laws a couple of times to go to dinner and my mother in law has kept my littlest while I take the oldest to dance classes. My first got two or three bottles but we quickly learned it wasn't worth the hassle.
  • BridgetMc
    May 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    Oh, and in December my older daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia and my littlest just stayed with us in the hospital. I did trade off at night and stayed in a hotel with the baby and my mother in law took her to play outside a few times but there aren't too many situations in. The first year where a mother needs to be away from her baby.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts