Natural Birth & Parenting

Mrs.Salz
couple bf questions
April 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I have stabbing pain through my breasts a lot (not related to letdown). Normal? Anything I can do?

My left nipple burns after DS nurses. It feels sort of like the vasospasms I had with DS1, but they don't change color. I don't think it's thrush since it's only on one side, baby has no signs of it, and it's been going on for a few weeks now. Is this a latch issue? It only burns right after he nurses, whether it's a short session or a long one, and goes away after I put my bra and shirt back on.

ETA: He's 7 weeks tomorrow and the burning started about two weeks ago.

Replies

• Mama110981
    April 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Sounds like a latch issue. My son latched on great right from the begining but when it took a few days for my milk to come in he started to thrive and not latch. I had to " retrain" him to do so. Call the hosp u gave birth at and see if theres a lactation consultant u can talk with. Good luck
  • GoodyBrook
    April 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I described something similar to my midwife while breastfeeding DS1.  Letdown tingles inside the breast, but my pain was in the nipple, almost like I was getting skewered with a shish-kabob stake.

She suggested lecithin supplements as an emulsifier, and within a couple days of taking them the pain went away.

I've been taking Lecithin since DS2 was born, and haven't experienced the same pain...

• JoJoBean8
    April 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I get the sharp pain occasionally still in one of my breasts. I also get a sore nipple. It's from the latch. His latch isn't bad he just is heavier now and I nurse him on a weird angle. 

Natural Birth & Parenting