Natural Birth & Parenting

Mrs.Salz
weaning advice
April 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Tandem nursing isn't going as well as I was hoping and I'm really disliking it. The nursing aversion I had during pregnancy comes back whenever my toddler (26 months) nurses and I I feel resentful and irritated and almost sick, so I think it's in our best interest if we wean. I'm also really worried about the aversion transferring to my 6 week old, especially since I don't like or enjoy breastfeeding in general.

Any advice on how to wean when he has a hysterical tantrum anytime he asks to nurse and I tell him "not now" or "later"? How can I help him understand that he's still loved when he can't nurse, even though his brother does all the time? He's already night weaned and only asks a few times a day. I'd like to get him down to just morning and/or bedtime and see if the aversion is manageable at that point, and go from there.

I'm disappointed things turned out like this but I'd like to end this stage of our relationship as positively as we can.

Replies

• larissalarie
    April 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    You just have to say no and be consistent. Ignore the tantrum, tantrums about nursing aren't any different than any other tantrum.

He's not going to feel unloved just because you wean him :) He's a little kid, he'll feel as loved as he is, with or without on-demand breastfeeding. Adults are the ones who have all the worries & hangups, if you don't give him that idea he won't have it :)
  • Sarah725
    April 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

distraction and yes like larissalarie said just say no.  Be consistent and by the way nice job bfding your dd for so long when you don't enjoy it so much.

• Mrs.Salz
    April 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Thanks a bunch, this makes me feel better :) I always anticipated that he would self-wean so doing mom-directed is harder for me.

Quoting larissalarie:

You just have to say no and be consistent. Ignore the tantrum, tantrums about nursing aren't any different than any other tantrum.

He's not going to feel unloved just because you wean him :) He's a little kid, he'll feel as loved as he is, with or without on-demand breastfeeding. Adults are the ones who have all the worries & hangups, if you don't give him that idea he won't have it :)

• Mrs.Salz
    April 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

bump

• JoJoBean8
    April 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

bump

Natural Birth & Parenting