Natural Birth & Parenting

JMmama
Looking for a natural remedy
by JMmama
April 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM
My MIL was asking me this weekend if I knew of any type of alternative treatment for molluscum contagiosum (no idea if that is spelled right). Apparently it is a highly contagious viral infection that is often spread in pools. The toddler across the street has a terrible case of it and the dermatologist has basically said it has to run its course and also prescribed Retin-A. The mom is hesitant to rub Retin-A all over her 2 year old but doesn't really know what else to do. I suggested breastmilk because I figured even if it didn't help it certainly wouldn't hurt but my MIL had already suggested it and the mom pretty much brushed the suggestion off saying her supply was long gone and MIL did not get the impression that she would be open to getting it from another source.

At any rate, I had never even heard of this and thought maybe someone here might have done suggestions or personal experience.

Replies

• jconney80
    April 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    I hope you find someone who has experience with it
  • JMmama
    by JMmama
    April 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    Me too! I feel bad for this poor baby but the things I would normally recommend after breastmilk, like coconut oil or TTO don't seem to make sense here.

Quoting jconney80:

• jconney80
    April 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Yeah probably just need to let it run it's course

Quoting JMmama:

Me too! I feel bad for this poor baby but the things I would normally recommend after breastmilk, like coconut oil or TTO don't seem to make sense here.

Quoting jconney80:

• JMmama
    by JMmama
    April 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    I think that is probably true. The derm told the mom though that for it to run its course could take anywhere from a week to 6 months! I think she is feeling desperate.

Quoting jconney80:

Yeah probably just need to let it run it's course

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting jconney80:

• jellyphish
    April 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    Viral infections benefit from tea tree oil. Mix some in a carrier and massage that on his body. You can also add a little lemon oil if you'd like, but if you do keep him out of direct sunlight for a while otherwise he skin will stain.
  • JMmama
    by JMmama
    April 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    What do you mean by carrier? What would you use? Good to know that viral infections can benefit from TTO though!

Thanks! I will pass this on. The baby in question is not mine. He is the neighbor of my MIL.

Quoting jellyphish:

Viral infections benefit from tea tree oil. Mix some in a carrier and massage that on his body. You can also add a little lemon oil if you'd like, but if you do keep him out of direct sunlight for a while otherwise he skin will stain.
  • GoodyBrook
    April 7, 2013 at 11:49 PM

You need a carrier oil like olive oil (or coconut oil) in order to put the Essential Oils on the skin.  They're so concentrated a drop or two won't go far without a carrier...

• Mrs.Salz
    April 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'd use diluted tea tree oil.

• JoJoBean8
    April 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

bump

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts