Natural Birth & Parenting

hannahs.mama
Id like to share my birth story :)
April 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
On Thanksgiving of 2011 at 6:00pm I started having contractions...as time went on they got worse and closer together but I was afraid to go to the hospital to just be told to go home and wait...I made it through the night.The little sleep I got was thanks to dh holding his body weight against my back.At 8:30am the next day I was in so much pain I couldnt stand up to get dressed,dh could tell I could make it to the hospital by car so he called the ambulance..when I got there the nurses were rushing me and pushing me to get an IV and epidural...eventually I caved and got both.I felt bad once my OB came in bc I made it to 5 1/2 centimeters WITHOUT drugs..I hated being pressured,I just wanted to be alone with dh.I couldnt stand the nurses,but my OB was amazing..dd had the cord around her neck and the OB literally saved her life! she also poured some kind of oil in me and massaged the opening so i didnt need any stitches!! Well dd was born Nov.25 at 11:54am. instantly i was able to hold my babygirl... :)

Replies

• MaryJarrett
    April 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM
    Great work mama!! :)

Nuchal cord (cord around the neck) is the reason ob saved babies life? Or did I read that wrong?
  • larissalarie
    April 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    Yeah all my babies were born with cords around their necks, they didn't need their lives saved considering babies don't need to breathe before they're born. :)

OP, that's crazy you went by ambulance with so much time left! I'm glad you had a nice birth :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Nuchal cord (cord around the neck) is the reason ob saved babies life? Or did I read that wrong?
  • hannahs.mama
    April 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    You read it correctly :) dd was breech until month 8 and i felt her move into the birthing position...her feet went into my left rib cage and the pressure was so intence i had to sit down and i lost my breath but less than two mins later i felt like nothing ever happened.lol i believe thats how the cord got around her neck...

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• MaryJarrett
    April 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    Both mine did also. It's non-emergent. Caidenece was actually wrapped tightly twice. No biggie.

Quoting larissalarie:

Yeah all my babies were born with cords around their necks, they didn't need their lives saved considering babies don't need to breathe before they're born. :)

OP, that's crazy you went by ambulance with so much time left! I'm glad you had a nice birth :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• larissalarie
    April 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    Yep oldest & youngest had it twice around the neck too. It was no biggie at all.
    Quoting MaryJarrett:

Both mine did also. It's non-emergent. Caidenece was actually wrapped tightly twice. No biggie.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• MaryJarrett
    April 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM
    For next time around, I would suggest doing some research into nuchal happenings. They aren't life threatening. Nuchal arms, nucgal cords, breech, all those are variations of normal and not life threatening. :)

I'm glad you got some relief!

I have a short torso(well, I'm short all over) so my babies are always up in my ribs. That's the crappiest part of pregnancy. Well, until they drop, then they're all feeling like they'll fall out. Lol I love it though.

Quoting hannahs.mama:

You read it correctly :) dd was breech until month 8 and i felt her move into the birthing position...her feet went into my left rib cage and the pressure was so intence i had to sit down and i lost my breath but less than two mins later i felt like nothing ever happened.lol i believe thats how the cord got around her neck...

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• MaryJarrett
    April 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    It seems fairly common. I've been reading up since it'll be just DH and I. Easy to fix. Slip a finger in, pull it around, and done. :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Yep oldest & youngest had it twice around the neck too. It was no biggie at all.
    Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• larissalarie
    April 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM
    That's all they did with mine. It didn't even interfere with me being able to have baby immediately onto my chest.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

It seems fairly common. I've been reading up since it'll be just DH and I. Easy to fix. Slip a finger in, pull it around, and done. :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• hannahs.mama
    April 7, 2013 at 1:17 AM
    youre right about the time left and about the cord around the neck...but being a young mother i was nervous and afraid....with the cord all i heard was "stop! stop! The cord is around the babys neck!" and to me time froze.(I was told stories of still births with the cord around the baby's neck.)...i was relieved to be told to push again...thats why i say she saved her life...i wasnt prepared for her birth and everyone but OB and dh were cold and rushing....next time around i will be able to keep calm and relaxed alot better AND be more informed on my options.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

• larissalarie
    April 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
    Aww, I'm sorry they scared you like that :(

Quoting hannahs.mama:

youre right about the time left and about the cord around the neck...but being a young mother i was nervous and afraid....with the cord all i heard was "stop! stop! The cord is around the babys neck!" and to me time froze.(I was told stories of still births with the cord around the baby's neck.)...i was relieved to be told to push again...thats why i say she saved her life...i wasnt prepared for her birth and everyone but OB and dh were cold and rushing....next time around i will be able to keep calm and relaxed alot better AND be more informed on my options.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Natural Birth & Parenting