Natural Birth & Parenting

Precious333
healthy and cheap
March 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Ok, im drawing a blank. I dont have anything ti make for dinner. We are on a very tight budget, i am having issues cooking meats, dh is a meat lover too. So im trying to thinknof healthy, cheap meals that i can tolerate to make. Anyone have ideas?

Replies

• JoJoBean8
    March 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Stir Fry or fried rice? It doesn't take much meat so you could pick it out of your dish.

• JMmama
    by JMmama
    March 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    I make spaghetti squash a lot. I just steam it in the microwave, scoop it out and add some lemon, butter and Parmesan. If you find a deal on chicken breast, I mix that in there sometimes too.
  • Mrs.Salz
    March 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Put meat in the slow cooker with carrots, potatoes, and other veggies, and a little broth? You could cook it in another room and not have to deal with the smell.

• JMmama
    by JMmama
    March 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Baked potatoes? Usually a bag is cheap and everyone could add what they like.
  • MamaPrime
    March 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM

On a budget I usually do "dirty rice" ground meat, browned in a pan with misc spices, add a veggie of choosing (or availability) to some rice with broth and red pepper. It's an all in one meal. When it's too spicy or I feel fancy I throw some greek yogurt or natural sour cream in it to make it a little creamy. 

• Precious333
    March 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Put meat in the slow cooker with carrots, potatoes, and other veggies, and a little broth? You could cook it in another room and not have to deal with the smell.

I wish! I dd make soup and was fie with a little meat in the soup on the crockpot. We live in a very very teeny house, so it not avoidable!

• Precious333
    March 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

thansk for the ideas mamas! very helpful!

• Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    March 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Rice and beans are the cheapest things in the grocery store.. cut up some fresh veggies and you've got yourself a meal, sister :)

• bloomsr
    by bloomsr
    March 19, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Steam chicken thighs w veggies. Cook rice on the side- add cilantro, sautéed red onion and a bit of lemon juice to the rice (it's soo good).

Sloppy joes, tacos, etc are quick and easy. Beans can be subbed in tacos if you don't want meat.
  • catholicmamamia
    March 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Great suggestions above. Also.. let him grill the meat, while you cook the sides. 

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts