Natural Birth & Parenting

Corina1987
How do midwives and moms handle laboring at home with preeclampsia?
February 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Is it possible to have preeclampsia and labor at home or is it too dangerous? My blood pressure has suddenly become high and Im 34 weeks with my first baby. I dont have preeclampsia yet but my mom and sis both had it.I am planning to labor at home without a midwife and then deliver in the hospital. I am worried that my blood pressure and possible preeclampsia during labor will hinder this. I just ordered a blood pressure wrist moniter so I know when my blood pressure is too high. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• doulala
    by doulala
    February 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Monitoring is good, but even better might be prevention so you can avoid problems.   Are you working on improving your health?

• TTC2Long
    February 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    I've always read in birth stories where pre-e is the reason a planned homebirth is moved to the hospital. I'm curious to see what others with more knowledge on this say. :)
  • peaches_04
    February 23, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    Eating Cucumbers

Epsom salt soaks
  • peaches_04
    February 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    Most mw monitor it but if your bp reaches a certain level will risk you out
  • GoodyBrook
    February 23, 2013 at 2:15 AM

In my state you risk out of a midwife's care at 140/90.  They are required to take you in for a consult with an OB at that time.

What other signs of pre-e do you have? 

Typically an induction is the route most OBs will go if you are beyond 37 weeks.  Prior to this they will try to treat your high blood pressure with medication until the baby reaches "term." 

• littlelambe2
    February 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Eat high protein. It may help regulate your bp. 

• GoodyBrook
    February 23, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Quoting littlelambe2:

Eat high protein. It may help regulate your bp. 

YES!

I was instructed by midwife to eat 1/2 gram of protein for every pound of weight.  For example:  If you weigh 100 pounds, you should eat 50 grams of protein per day, or if you weigh 250 pounds, you should consume 125 grams of protein per day.

Also look at supplementing calcium and magnesium.  (I was told this would help stave of pre-e, but I don't have the sources for it--maybe someone else can help here?).

• Terpsichore
    February 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I started at a stand-alone birth center and transferred to a hospital. 

Prior to pregnancy #1 blood prssure 112/70. Week 32 I was spilling protein and continued to do so. Lastest BP reading before labor at 39 weeks: 130/84. Labor started at 40 weeks and 3 days at midnight. Went to the birth center at 7:15am. Blood pressure was 150/92 fetal heart rate in the 130s. By 3 am on 11/5, I was at most 5 cm dilated and had been unable to get any sleep. BP 150/90 and fetal heart rate was in the 180s. Baby had not shown signs of distress before then. Midwife discussed tranfer to a hospital, and I agreed. Tranferred because of elevated blood pressure, maternal exhaustion, and slow progress. 

I had an epidural which allowed me to sleep, and pitocin to help my contractions become stronger and more frequent. I woke up shortly before second stage labor, which lasted for two hours on my back, and had a vaginal birth.

Every labor is different. At 34 weeks there are ways to help keep blood pressure down. Protein and potassium are "in", sodium is "out", bed rest and lying on your left side is "in." I wasn't risked out before going into labor or even when I showed up with 150/92. They kept a close eye on BP and the fetal heart rate using a dobbler, and BP remained steady at the 150/90 range. If my contractions hadn't lost effectiveness for whatever reason, I likely would have had the baby at the birth center. Part of it depends on the doctor/midwife, part of it depends on how high the blood pressure is, how fast it is rising, and what other signs of preeclampsia you are showing.

Blood pressure prior to pregnancy #2: 112/60. Birth center and midwives are booked for the month I am due. I decide I want to labor at home as long as possible and deliver in a hospital. Already it is a very different experience. I feel I am treated not like I am at risk for preeclampsia, but that it is a sure thing that I will get it. So I am doing research both on preeclampsia and informed consent. I also hired a doula 
    (I went to doulamatch.net and emailed a few, found a couple who'd work with my financial situation). I have a blood pressure monitor. I feel strongly about going into labor naturally and not having a c-section, but I don't want to "informed consent" my baby to death. So I'm doing what I can to keep my BP under control and stay educated.  If induction and/or c-section become necessary, that's what I'll do.

• Corina1987
    February 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM
    Since the high blood pressure has been brought on by pregnancy, I dont think there is much I can do. Im not having salt anymore. Ive been eatting fruits,veges the whole time. How else can I avoid problems?

Quoting doulala:

Monitoring is good, but even better might be prevention so you can avoid problems.   Are you working on improving your health?

• Corina1987
    February 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    Thank you for sharing, What is a normal heart rate for the baby? It is scary to not know if you and the baby are in danger when you are home. My blood pressure was 133/83, I think. I havent had any proteiņs. How did they know your labor wasnt fast enough? I heard women laboring for days. Thanks for the info.

Quoting Terpsichore:

I started at a stand-alone birth center and transferred to a hospital. 

Prior to pregnancy #1 blood prssure 112/70. Week 32 I was spilling protein and continued to do so. Lastest BP reading before labor at 39 weeks: 130/84. Labor started at 40 weeks and 3 days at midnight. Went to the birth center at 7:15am. Blood pressure was 150/92 fetal heart rate in the 130s. By 3 am on 11/5, I was at most 5 cm dilated and had been unable to get any sleep. BP 150/90 and fetal heart rate was in the 180s. Baby had not shown signs of distress before then. Midwife discussed tranfer to a hospital, and I agreed. Tranferred because of elevated blood pressure, maternal exhaustion, and slow progress. 

I had an epidural which allowed me to sleep, and pitocin to help my contractions become stronger and more frequent. I woke up shortly before second stage labor, which lasted for two hours on my back, and had a vaginal birth.

Every labor is different. At 34 weeks there are ways to help keep blood pressure down. Protein and potassium are "in", sodium is "out", bed rest and lying on your left side is "in." I wasn't risked out before going into labor or even when I showed up with 150/92. They kept a close eye on BP and the fetal heart rate using a dobbler, and BP remained steady at the 150/90 range. If my contractions hadn't lost effectiveness for whatever reason, I likely would have had the baby at the birth center. Part of it depends on the doctor/midwife, part of it depends on how high the blood pressure is, how fast it is rising, and what other signs of preeclampsia you are showing.

Blood pressure prior to pregnancy #2: 112/60. Birth center and midwives are booked for the month I am due. I decide I want to labor at home as long as possible and deliver in a hospital. Already it is a very different experience. I feel I am treated not like I am at risk for preeclampsia, but that it is a sure thing that I will get it. So I am doing research both on preeclampsia and informed consent. I also hired a doula 
    (I went to doulamatch.net and emailed a few, found a couple who'd work with my financial situation). I have a blood pressure monitor. I feel strongly about going into labor naturally and not having a c-section, but I don't want to "informed consent" my baby to death. So I'm doing what I can to keep my BP under control and stay educated.  If induction and/or c-section become necessary, that's what I'll do.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN