Natural Birth & Parenting

Mama_Gleich
Do you CD???
February 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I am looking to start Cd'ing my 4 month old daughter. My biggest concern is, how to properly clean them.... What soaps are a no go, and what soaps are ok? I've heard about people stripping them.... What does that mean? And how many diapers would you suggest to start off with?!?! 

And I am interested in the AIO's.... Which brand do you suggest! :-) 

Replies

• nicki.hemingway
    February 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Yes, we cd.  We started when ds was 4 weeks and dd from birth.  They are 2 1/2 and 20 months now. 

Soaps list: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Stripping is done after you get build up (can happen over time) or after any type of illness/infection.  I use 1 cup of vinegar in the 1st rinse and 1/2 cup baking soda in a second rinse.  Both rinse are colds water. 

For 4 months You probably need about 6 diapers per day.  I go 3-4 between washed for 24 minimum with a few extra in case you are late to wash or you little one has a poopy filled day or two. 

I personally hate AIO's.  They are more expensive, take longer to wash and dry, and are more prone to build up.  I use pockets and AI2 (all in two's.  Pocket have a pouch to stuff the liner in and All in 2's you usually snap or place the inserts.  Since they seperate to wash they wash and dry faster.  I personally love Bumgenius (here)with Green mountain diapers inserts (here). Also the Cuties with Cloth Booties Group has a ton of wonderful WAHM diaper makers who are all awesome.   In the end it is your choice but personally I'd stay away from AIO's. 

• Mama_Gleich
    February 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh my gosh!! Thank you sooo much for the helpful advice!!! :-) 

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Yes, we cd.  We started when ds was 4 weeks and dd from birth.  They are 2 1/2 and 20 months now. 

Soaps list: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Stripping is done after you get build up (can happen over time) or after any type of illness/infection.  I use 1 cup of vinegar in the 1st rinse and 1/2 cup baking soda in a second rinse.  Both rinse are colds water. 

For 4 months You probably need about 6 diapers per day.  I go 3-4 between washed for 24 minimum with a few extra in case you are late to wash or you little one has a poopy filled day or two. 

I personally hate AIO's.  They are more expensive, take longer to wash and dry, and are more prone to build up.  I use pockets and AI2 (all in two's.  Pocket have a pouch to stuff the liner in and All in 2's you usually snap or place the inserts.  Since they seperate to wash they wash and dry faster.  I personally love Bumgenius (here)with Green mountain diapers inserts (here). Also the Cuties with Cloth Booties Group has a ton of wonderful WAHM diaper makers who are all awesome.   In the end it is your choice but personally I'd stay away from AIO's. 

• Mrs.Salz
    February 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Some other sites for getting started are www.allaboutclothdiapers.com and Cotton Babies faq.

Bumgenius are popular AIOs although I know a lot of people don't like AIOs in genearl because they take so much longer to dry and are more expensive. I prefer inserts and covers personally. A lot of websites such as Kelly's Closet have trial packs so you can test out different brands and types before spending a bunch of money and buying a whole stash.

• Mrs.Salz
    February 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Also more detergent info http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

I've tried bumgenius and rockin' green detergents and like them both, but we use homemade now to save money.

• hriabywx4
    February 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    I second the pockets or AI2s!! My son goes to daycare and is CD there too! I just prestuff. Only difference for them is they put it in a wetbag instead of the trash :)

I also suggest getting a couple of a few different brands/styles. Then buy more of the ones you love! Resell the ones you don't like, you'll get a lot of your money back from those.
  • VintageWife
    February 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I do, but only part-time right now. I don't have enough in my dd's size for full-time. I'm going to cd the new baby though :)

• catholicmamamia
    February 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The cottonbabies site has lots of great info for new cd-ers..  :o) 

• JessicaHetzel
    February 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We do! We use Oh Katy's which I do not like, and flips which I love. We use Charlie's Soap. Love CDing

• jconney80
    February 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    I use a homemade soap or a "free" detergent. I've been cloth diapering for 3 years now and with two kids. I don't like AIOs either because they take forever to dry and they're much harder to strip! I prefer a variety of dipes. I love pockets and fitteds with covers.
  • jconney80
    February 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    I love Bumgenius snap closure (not Velcro it doesn't last long) pockets. I love Smartipants pockets also. Those are my favorites. I like Thirsties fitteds and covers. They're great!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts