Natural Birth & Parenting

summer11baby
help please :) just a few quick questions!!
February 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM
This is my second baby, I'm almost 20 weeks. I had my daughter in the hospital and I plan to birth this baby in a hospital also. I just want to do things a bit different this time. With my daughter the nurse was nice and I liked her but she was kinda pushy and wanted things her way. For example, before I delivered, I explained that I wanted baby on my chest directly after birth and I wanted to nurse right away. I also didn't want her give a bath that night. Well next thing you know, baby was placed on my chest for about 15 seconds then she was rushed away to the warmer...after that, a tech came in while I was in the bathroom and was giving her a bath then I didn't even get a chance to nurse until she was 2 hours old because the nurse told me she was too cold to leave the warmer. I was a first time mom and didn't wanna look like a crazy person for flipping out on the nurse so I let it all go. But this time I want to know my rights before I go in for delivery. Do they *have* to let them put baby under the warmer at all?? And can I refuse the bath until the next day? Are these choices I only have if I were to birth at home? I really don't feel comfortable having a home birth but I still want things done my way. Please help :)

Replies

• butterflyk1ssez
    February 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

warmers have been known to burn babies if left under there too long. there is no need for babies to be on a warmer. skin to skin is the ultimate warmer for babies. ou dohave a choice and you can control it.

• melindabelcher
    February 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

My baby didn't leave my chest for over an hr. She warmed and ate on me before she was weighed. She wasn't bathed until over a week old.

You don't HAVE to let them do anything. Your hiring them. You call all the shots.

• summer11baby
    February 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    Thanks ladies!! I'm just kind of a quiet go with the flow person...but this might be my last baby and if things don't go how I want them to go, I know I'll really regret it later. I loved my labor and delivery with my daughter but later on I had some mild PPD and I honestly think this had something to do with it because after leaving the hospital I was so upset that I didn't just tell the nurse to back off. I had a plan for everything and one women came in and threw it all in the trash. Of course my daughter is 100% healthy either way but that bonding time was important to me and I feel robbed of it. I don't have any skin to skin pictures or anything like that :(
  • Sarah725
    February 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Great questions, baby doesn't need the warmer.  A bath is not necissary right away, in fact I hear it's better to wait a while.  You have many choices, don't let them boss you around :)

• Mrs.Salz
    February 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM

You call the shots. Obviously some are more willing to work with you than others.

You might consider hiring a doula to help advocate for you. She can help make sure the only things that happen are with your consent, so you can focus on birth and enjoying your baby without worrying about things.

• somuchlove4U
    February 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Make sure you have someone with you that has a copy of your birth plan. That way if the nurses try to ignore it your partner can speak up for you.

Quoting summer11baby:

Thanks ladies!! I'm just kind of a quiet go with the flow person...but this might be my last baby and if things don't go how I want them to go, I know I'll really regret it later. I loved my labor and delivery with my daughter but later on I had some mild PPD and I honestly think this had something to do with it because after leaving the hospital I was so upset that I didn't just tell the nurse to back off. I had a plan for everything and one women came in and threw it all in the trash. Of course my daughter is 100% healthy either way but that bonding time was important to me and I feel robbed of it. I don't have any skin to skin pictures or anything like that :(
  • Brandy85412
    February 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I would suggest getting a doula. They can help you with these wishes. None of my babies (2 were hospital) were put in a warmer they stayed in my bed 24/7. Arm youself with information to take to your doctor. Also have you checked out other hospitals around you? See how they are?

• mylilprincesses
    February 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

those are not hospital polcies so therefore they are up to the mother.. the baby will get warmer quicker being skin to skin than what what that warmer will do plus its good for you and the baby to be skin to skin. Yes you can refuse a bath.. that is your child and your the only who should make the decisions for him/her.. sometimes at hospitals you have to put your foot down.. cause some hospital staff can be very pushy about things.

• JoJoBean8
    February 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I would get a doula 

• summer11baby
    February 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    I was thinking about a doula but were kinda tight on money right now and I'm not sure how much doulas usually charge so I honestly haven't even looked into one. If I wanted to hire one, I'm sure s/o wouldn't have an issue with it but I just figured if I could go without then that would be ok too. Idk!! I'm thinking about birth a lot lately, I guess I shouldn't be, I'm only half way there

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts