Natural Birth & Parenting

jellyphish
NDs, midwives, healthcare reform
January 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I was NOT expecting this awesome news! Apparently CPMs will be covered, NDs in states that require licensure should be covered, and nutritionists will be covered, and possibly acupuncture!
This could be a huge step in the right direction to bridge western and naturopathic medicine!

http://m.bastyr.edu/news/general-news-home-page/2013/01/health-care-law-creates-openings-cam-fields?utm_campaign=Bastyr%2520News%2520February%25202013&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=Health%2520Care%2520Law%2520Extends%2520Reach%2520of%2520CAM%2520fields

Replies

• catholicmamamia
    January 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

That's great! 

• Precious333
    January 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    Wow.....im surprised. My possible midwife is going to have a meeting with several of her clients on how we cab support eachother in natural births just incase.
  • peaches_04
    January 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Awesome!
  • Mrs.Salz
    January 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Cool. It won't affect many people though since not many people will actually qualify for obamacare.

• GoodyBrook
    January 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

It was so exciting to read about midwifes:

Midwifery

Certified professional midwives (CPMs) secured a "partial victory" in the law, according to Mary Lawlor, MA, CPM, LM, executive director of National Association of Certified Professional Midwives. At the request of Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., the law requires Medicaid to pay provider and facility fees for licensed midwives at birth centers. That will increase low-income women’s access to midwifery care.

The provision doesn't mention CPMs specifically, making it challenging to ensure states understand, Lawlor says.

"The gap between passing a law and implementation is enormous," Lawlor says. "The provider and facility fee were supposed to go into effect two years ago, but there are still states where implementation is incomplete."

The high cost of conventional birth procedures and shortage of obstetricians, especially in rural areas, will help midwives prove their worth, says Lawlor.

“We’ve been able to make the case that maternity care is in terrible shape," she says. "We spend more money on it than any other country and yet our outcomes are getting worse. Physicians tend to give everyone medical care that's appropriate for only the most high-risk births. We’ve been able to show clearly that midwives can provide better care.”

• larissalarie
    January 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Quoting catholicmamamia:

That's great! 

• Sarah725
    January 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM

wow what great news!

• pipers_mom
    January 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    That's great for the states that didn't opt-out. KS opted out, so I don't get any of the new things that come with Obama care. It's actually gotten more expensive to see my MW.
  • 907PickleMom
    January 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Awesome!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts