Natural Birth & Parenting

BaileysMom9
What would you do (pregnancy/birth)? (kinda long)
January 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

A little back story... I am 15 wks with baby #4.  I've had 3 previous hospital births, two with CNM's, and one completely natural, unmedicated birth.  I am planning another natural birth with this baby.  I have never had any pregnancy/birth complications. 

We are living in a new area now, and there are NO midwives anywhere within 2 hrs, so I am stuck with an OB... and OB that I am not very fond of, to make it worse.  This is not my 1st rodeo, and I'm frustrated by the appts.  Feeling like they are a complete waste of time and money, since I already know what to expect, and the dr spends maybe 5 min per appt with me (last one was 2 min tops... no joke).  On top of that, my insurance is only covering a tiny portion, which will put me around $3200 out of pocket for the prenatal care + delivery/hospital stay. 

I have been seriously considering doing the rest of my pregnancy unassisted and monitoring myself at home.  I will be going for my 20 wk anatomy/gender scan, but thinking of calling it quits after that.  I still plan on doing a hospital birth because my husband really isn't on board with an unassisted homebirth and I'm GBS+. 

Does this seem crazy, or a reasonable thing to do given my situation.  I'd love to just go completely unassisted, but not sure I have it in me.  I like having that extra support/reassurance at the very end. 

Replies

• BaileysMom9
    January 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    We don't have any naturpaths here either unfortunately.

Quoting N_maricle:

Yep! I was HBS+ with ds1, but not Ds2. Instead of a midwife, OP could look into findIng a naturopathic doctor to attend the birth as well.

Quoting littlelambe2:

GBS test result expire after 5 weeks, so how do you know you'll be GBS positive on delivery? 20w scan is not necessary unless you're at risk for certain things. Can you change OBs? How about a family doc? Your choice in health care provider is very important. I wouldn't do an unassisted home birth unless both you and your husband are on board. 

• BaileysMom9
    January 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Yes it is!! So glad someone understands! We are right in the heart of the Bakken... Williston!!! We have no natural health options, no midwives, and not even a health food store within 2 hrs. Used to live over in Miles City which is a little better but barely. Where in western MT are you?? The hotel idea isn't really practical for me given my history of short labors. With the traffic here, Minot is a solid 2 hr drive. Plus hotels are crazy expensive... even in Minot. Its a whole different world here. Hard to grasp until you live it. Needless to say this is NOT my favorite place lol. I come from N Idaho. Little hippy town in the mountains and we have SO many options there for alternative health. Lifestyle here is very different... and frustrating!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting BaileysMom9:

We live in an area where it is extremely hard to retain good... well any, providers at the dr offices/hospital.  We are very limited with our providers.  Outside of a male OB (which I will not do) I have three options in the office I'm with now.  I will be changing primary's with my next appt, however because it is a shared practice I could end up with any of the dr's there at the time of delivery.  It's a hard situation to explain... kinda have to understand our area (we're in western ND where the oil boom has taken hold, and there is NO housing.  They cannot draw in and keep dr's/nurses/midwives, etc..)

The Bakken!  I understand your situation...  It's the wild west out there right now, isn't it! 

I'm in western MT, and we have a 70 mile drive to any of three towns that actually deliver:  Bozeman, Butte, and Dillon.  Unfortunately none of the rural clinics deliver babies anymore due to the high malpractice / insurance premiums associated with doing so...  :(

Our thought with this last pregnancy was to head to Bozeman and rent a room until the baby came...  Would such a thing work for you?  Or depending on your location, is there a reservation clinic that handles births near you?  In Central MT we have a few colonies who birth their babies at home...what about contacting your local Amish/Mennonite and asking their women a few questions about their local midwives?

How far from the MT border are you?

• littlelambe2
    January 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM

The 5 week expiration is a new standard. I found out when I went into labor 3 months ago. I had the swab at my 36 week checkup (neg) and went into labor at 41w1d. The nurse told me I needed abx because of the new rules. I declined, so she said that both baby and I would have to stay in the hospital for observation for 36 hrs (I like to leave shortly after birth). I agreed, cause I didn't want the abx! Thankfully, my doc told me not to worry about it, told me the signs to look for, etc. As an evidence based doctor, he wasn't on board with it because the recommendations were someone's opinion, not research based fact. But, hey, if some guys opinion can help you out, why not? Lol

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I know my previous pregnancy doesn't determine whether I'll be GBS+ at the time of delivery of THIS pregnancy.  I was tested + in a urine culture with this pregnancy, so I was told I had to do antibiotics.  I didn't even think about it at the time.  I didn't realize (was never told) that the test results are only valid for 5 wks.  *IF* I do have the swab test done at the end of the pregnancy and it comes back pos. again I will decline antibiotics (again, didn't realize I could until another lady mentioned it) because I don't want them in my body or my baby's body.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Bacteria levels change constantly and there are ways to control and manage it. As I stated before, the new guidelines are that GBS test results expire after 5 weeks. Just because you were positive with your last pregnancy, doesn't mean you'll be positive upon delivery with this one. Levels can be dropped with garlic and probiotics. Just wanted to make you aware. You should still retest around 36-38 weeks. 

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Well, I was GBS+ w/my last pregnancy as well.  This one they found it in my urine early on.  I am not one for antibiotics, and with my last I showed up to the hospital so late they only had time for half a bag of antibiotics, which was a plus.  I'd rather not have them at all, but not sure the hospital will even "allow" that. 

As for switching OB's... there is one other office in town, but all male providers and I do not want a male OB.  And regardless, I still feel like the appts are a waste of time.  And no, I would not do a UC if either of us were not completely and 100% on board and dedicated to it. 

Quoting littlelambe2:

GBS test result expire after 5 weeks, so how do you know you'll be GBS positive on delivery? 20w scan is not necessary unless you're at risk for certain things. Can you change OBs? How about a family doc? Your choice in health care provider is very important. I wouldn't do an unassisted home birth unless both you and your husband are on board. 

• tabi_cat1023
    January 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    Im so frustrated for you. We are having major issues with cnm status in north carolina. I plan a homebirth with cnm in august but could end up uc if she cant attend because of laws
  • BaileysMom9
    January 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I'm sorry :/  I'm so happy that you might have the option of a CNM doing your homebirth though.  It's incredibly frustrating when you feel like you have no choices.  There are so many laws/regulations on midwifery and it makes it tough.  What's even more frustrating is that most insurance won't cover homebirths with midwives.  I hope we both get the births we want! 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Im so frustrated for you. We are having major issues with cnm status in north carolina. I plan a homebirth with cnm in august but could end up uc if she cant attend because of laws

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts