Natural Birth & Parenting

Naegore
saving money: need advice
by Naegore
January 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Anyone have any affordable, healthy recipes that we can stretch? We are a family of three. I spend way too much on food and most really isn't that healthy. I want to cut down on gluten. Also, we spend too much on bottled water. We can't drink our tap so what filter system is a better investment? Anything else that you want to add is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sj3starz
    January 27, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I use the Brita water pitcher. I love it. :-) As for recipes, you could buy in bulk and freeze what will spoil before you can use it. I do this with my meats, and some veggies. I ended up buying a chest freezer JUST for this purpose, and it was the best investment ever! I'm so glad I did. For my frozen veggies, I usually steam them prior to freezing, so that I can portion them, and add them to any recipe fairly easy! This is also A LOT cheaper than buying the pre-cut and frozen bags from stores. You can also wash out and hang the bags inside out to dry if you want to reuse them. I'm not that ambitious, but I know others that are.

As for recipes, I LOVE crock pot recipes because usually they make a ton of food and last the whole week (or if you freeze the left overs, even longer)

• Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    January 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM

beans and rice are some of the healthiest and cheapest things you can get at the grocery store.  cut out non nutritive snack foods like crackers and chips. get lots of fruits and veggies.  i feed my family of 3 on a weekly budget of $125. we also dont buy any meat, dairy or eggs.

• larissalarie
    January 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Here's my blog post about this topic:

http://anothermomblogtalesfromanordinarylife.blogspot.com/2012/12/grocery-shopping-with-tight-budget.html?m=1
  • Naegore
    by Naegore
    January 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    Thank you ladies.
  • rachelrothchild
    January 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Berkee (sp) water filters are the best according to my friends.  I really want one.  Bulk rice.  You could buy 1/4 cow or something if you have freezer space too.

• Magnolia7
    January 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

We have a Berkey filter and I looooove it!  It's an upfront investment, but when you add up how long it lasts and how much water it filters, it really is quite cost effective. 

Beans, rice, and frozen veggies are great staples to have.  They are cheap and easy to mix and match. 

• peaches_04
    January 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    I have a bunch of ladies i get together with once a month for a frozen meal bake exchange.

We each make one neal in bulk and seperate and package it up for everyone then exchangE

Its waaay cheaper to make one meal in bulk
  • peaches_04
    January 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    Meatless pastas are cheap and filling
  • Sarah725
    January 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

we get water bottles at costco.  They have 36 bottles a pack really cheap.

Natural Birth & Parenting