Natural Birth & Parenting

2forKaty
Jarred baby food
January 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
So I get WIC and they give me TONS of baby food jars.....of course it isn't the nice organic kind, just beech nut or gerber. Is it bad for my baby? I had planned on making most if my baby food and then of I wanted something easy I was going to buy the organic stuff in the squeezey pouches. I feel like I should use what WIC gives me but at the same time if it isn't good I will just not use those checks or donate the jars and pay for the good stuff.
What would you do?

Replies

• Sarah725
    January 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    I ended giving mine to my sister. I would just donate them if you wont use them.
  • Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    January 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM

We never used the jars, i bought some for a camping trip once thinking it would be more convenient but he refused to eat it! I would donate the stuff, maybe a foodbank or the salvation army?

• jconney80
    January 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    I'd donate them and give your baby your food
  • jconney80
    January 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    I used to give my little ones steamed veggies or pieces of squishy fruit
  • jconney80
    January 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    Or Freecycle too!

Quoting Cynthje:

We never used the jars, i bought some for a camping trip once thinking it would be more convenient but he refused to eat it! I would donate the stuff, maybe a foodbank or the salvation army?

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    January 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I didnt even think of that! there are many ways you can donate. We donate our used baby stuff that is still in good condition to a daycare because they know mommas that need them! i have done it with clothes and toys in the past

Quoting jconney80:

Or Freecycle too!

Quoting Cynthje:

• grouchymama
    January 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I would use it. I made my own baby food. With the first I used Gerber when we were traveling etc. There wasn't anything added to it. I was surprised when I looked at the ingredients and saw carrots, water.

• Batman003
    January 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    Im not a part of this board, but thought that I would say that when ds was eating jared food, the 28 jars a month that wic gave us only lasted 2 days. Yes my ds are 12ish jars a day from 3m-9m. So endes up stop using wic because it was no help to me. My lo now eats what we eat, and he eats as much as me if not more. He is not fat at all. 20# and 11m old.
  • Beliciasmommy
    January 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    I get WIC too nd I was debatable about this too. I wanted to make all the baby food from fresh fruits and vegtables and not feed my daughter factory processed ones. plus I have the concern of it having something wrong with it and being recalled which I possible. my mom also had a incident when my older brother was younger she open a jarred can of Gerber food and when she went to stir it she heard something in the glass jar after dumping it out she saw that they're were large chunks and shards of broken glass she call the number on the gerber jar and they offered to send a refund!! like why would u want more??? they said in the factory a jar must of broke then been distributed into serval others!! it makes u think of the other moms who didn't notice or wasn't as lucky as my mom the have the larger parts of glass babies were eating small shards and or even micro scopic pieces it's scary !! :( what standards does our baby's food go through to be considered safe for them??
  • LLbaby143
    February 1, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    I'm unsure of it. But I think the organic plum packets of purrees r fine. They have ONLY three ingredients listed on them and no preservatives. (That r listed on it) and I feel at ease using those. I have heard gerbers is listed as a genetically modified ingredient user so I ban all their products.. but that's just me. I think I'd donate those and buy the good stuff or just do what you usually do and feed real veggies. Go with ur gut regardless. :)

Natural Birth & Parenting