Natural Birth & Parenting

kiki2382
babywearing for bigger mamas
January 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I'd like to wear my baby more but I haven't found anything that I really like and I'm not ready to invest in one of the more expensive carriers unless I can be more certain that it'll work for me. I've been having some weight issues since having my boys so I'm up to about a size 20, and I'm thinking that might be a part of the problem. Are there any carriers that work better for larger women?

Replies

• somuchlove4U
    January 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    Have you looked into moby wraps? I'm plus size myself and the wrap seems like it would work.
  • larissalarie
    January 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    The Ergo "sport" has an extended waistband strap. I'm not certain what size it goes up to, but it's a good amount longer than my regular one.
  • tansyflower
    January 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

i did not like the moby wrap for a lot of reasons.  but i LOVE my ring sling and it is so versatile for babies of all ages :)

• RADmomma
    January 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I am about an 18 and I have an Ergo... plus I made my own Moby. LOVE It.

• FrumpyMama
    January 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I was 235 when I had my son and I loved the Moby Wrap. I also bought a Baby Hawk Mei Tei, they have an option for longer straps so you don't feel like your making it too tight just to make it fit. 

• Mommy2justone
    January 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I am a size 16/18 and the Boba3G fits me with LOTS of room to spare. My husband is a bigger guy and it fits him with room to spare. 

Directly from the website- Waist Belt: 25”-58” 

• GoodyBrook
    January 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I love my ring sling.  I made it myself from the pattern on MayaWrap.com and gave it a couple feet extra fabric...

• MaryJarrett
    January 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
    A lot of wraps would work. Especially if you made them yourself. :) I know things like Ergo have the option of extenders.

A moby wrap is great for newborns but doesn't last long. Stretchy wraps don't provide enough support once baby is about 20ish pounds.
    Woven wraps are nice. I love mine. I can still wrap my 4 yr old nicely.
    I have a gauze wrap for summer so it doesn't get too hot.
    I also have a ring sling, and I'm planning to make a meitai.
    wearyourbaby.com is the site I use for my wrap making advice.

As for trying before you buy, check boutiques in your area. Some have 30 day trials. :)
    Good luck!
  • Nicolle_09
    January 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

the Ergo and the Boba 3G are both great for larger moms and size down if needed. Im actually saving for a 3G since it would be able to be adjusted to me size and to my fiance's size with very little hassel. 

• MissSarah04
    January 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    I am a size 16 and I have Room to spare on the Beco Butterfly II. No extender needed. I had an ergo and I was pretty tight and I almost needed the extender. You can also use ring slings or longer warps. I have a babyette gauze wrap but would love a woven.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts