Natural Birth & Parenting

RheaF
Natural ways to fight depression?
by RheaF
January 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Ok, it has been a week and I am really struggling. DH still has a week at school, and if the kids were not here with me I would not get out of bed. I have no desire to do anything. I hate feeling this way. I have had PPD in the past(with DD, 7 years ago), and took medication for it, but reacted really badly to it. It made the depression worse, to the point where I needed to be hospitalized. I don't want to go that route again if I can avoid it. What are some natural ways to deal with depression? Are there herbal suppliments that help on the bad days?

Replies

• tabi_cat1023
    January 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Vit D helps alot...make yurself get up and go for a walk.

• One-n-Counting
    January 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I would say I get moderate depression after birth. I've never had to take medication. I would usually just "hide out" I wouldn't leave my house unless I had to and I stopped talking to friends.

Too gross for some but placenta encapsulation pills have helped me cope better. I also take lots of vitamin D and try to spend time outdoors. Dark(60%) chocolate also helps sometimes. 

I'm sure there's herbal alternatives! I know my midwife makes tinctures for it but I have no idea what she puts in it!

• RheaF
    by RheaF
    January 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    I suffered a miscarriage. My Doctor warned me about getting PPD, and the sings to watch for( well for DH to watch for). I am not assuming that this is PPD. I just want something to feel a little better. I hate this, I have zero motivation to do anything. No appitite( I have list 8 pounds since last Sunday), I am forcing myself to eat the little bit that I am.
  • tabi_cat1023
    January 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM

St johns wart I am told hellps depression..not safe when pregnant or nursing though

HUGS momma

SHeep placenta works too..you can get the pills on amazon

• GoodyBrook
    January 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

St johns wart I am told hellps depression..not safe when pregnant or nursing though

HUGS momma

SHeep placenta works too..you can get the pills on amazon

Before we were together, DH took St. John's Wort at the advice of a friend.  It made him hallucinate and his depression skyrocketed.  Luckily he realized it was caused by the supplement and stopped...

The only thing that helps with my moods is exercise.  I feel soooo much better after a couple of weeks of regular exercise...

• buffalove23
    January 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    I was told fish oil, st john's wart, and vitamin d. This was a while ago though (2007ish) So I'm not sure if this is still recommended or side effects, etc
  • Sarah725
    January 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Get out of the house and take a walk, i think the sunshine helps. Hope u feel better soon.
  • Nee86
    by Nee86
    January 20, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    We have been dealing with depression with my dh for awhile. We lost our mental health coverage at the first of the year so we had to look for alternatives. We found out that some depression is caused by vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The most common being magnesium, vitamin B and vitamin D. I'm not saying this could be the same with you but it's something to look in too.
  • ballerina.2006
    January 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    Vit D and excersise. I've suffered from depression for a long time. I was first diagnosed in 2001. I recently found out my Vit D was almost zero. Since I started supplements I have had a much better time (still have rough moments/days). Excersise also helps because of the happy endorphins. I find hard core/intense workouts to work best for me with a rare yoga class.

A happy light may help too.
  • peaches_04
    February 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

routine and structure are important with out it your days melt together making depression harder to fight

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts