Natural Birth & Parenting

MonicaV1982
C-Section for Cervical Swelling?! (she had her baby--update)
January 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I'm wondering because my sister in law claims that she has to have a c-section because her cervix is swollen and the internal exam (36week) hurt. She claims the doctor was pushing for a natural labor, but now claims that if she labors she most likely won't be able to deliver. I'm not trying to sway her or anything. She's beyond that even if I wanted to, but I'm just wondering about this because I've never heard of this. I don't mean to sound mean or judgmental against her, but I have a feeling that her doctor is doing this out of convenience and she's just said the "natural" part because I post about birth and breastfeeding (not like others need my approval do what they want with their bodies!)

So, she went ahead with the c-section. Baby was 7lbs 11oz and was put on oxygen (a nasal cannula) because he got fluid in his lungs from the section. My sister was just leaving as they were weaning him off. It irritates me that my SIL would put my nephew's health and safety at risk for her comfort and her refusal to take responsibility to educate herself. Yes, I feel it's important not to become the doctor, but I feel that at the end of the day the buck stops with the parents.

Replies

• maddiesmommy5
    January 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I have never heard of that but heres a bump

• larissalarie
    January 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    I've never heard of such a thing.
  • MonicaV1982
    January 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM

neither have I! That's why I think she's just BSing with me about the doctor pushing natural birth. I wish people would grow some ovaries and own their choices. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I think everyone should do what I think! In any case I'm leaving it alone with her. I've learned that she's one of those women that does exactly as she's told. She has done no real preparation for the birth aside from going to appointments and picking out the nursery theme. Of course that's at least a step better than the crack moms who don't even know they're pregnant till the end or at birth!

Quoting larissalarie:

• larissalarie
    January 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    Lol! At least crack moms can be rehabilitated :-P

Saying the doctor is pushing for a natural birth is maybe a bigger red flag than the bogus sounding "swollen cervix". While my doctors have always been supportive of my natural births, I don't know that any doctor pushes for them! (unless she's confusing the term "natural" birth with "vaginal" birth. Those are NOT necessarily the same thing)

Quoting MonicaV1982:

neither have I! That's why I think she's just BSing with me about the doctor pushing natural birth. I wish people would grow some ovaries and own their choices. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I think everyone should do what I think! In any case I'm leaving it alone with her. I've learned that she's one of those women that does exactly as she's told. She has done no real preparation for the birth aside from going to appointments and picking out the nursery theme. Of course that's at least a step better than the crack moms who don't even know they're pregnant till the end or at birth!

Quoting larissalarie:

• sj3starz
    January 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    The cervix would normally swell from trying to push the baby out when the cervix isn't dilated... Unless she's been actively trying to push, I doubt she is swollen.
    Even so, it shouldn't stop her from delivering vaginally. She has a few weeks before she should go into labor anyway.
    The cervix is usually very sensitive during pregnancy and even more so near the end because of blood flow and pressure from the baby.

This all seems very off.
  • MonicaV1982
    January 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I know! I have a feeling that she's just going along. She said that there's no way she can birth a baby if it hurt to have the exam done.

Quoting sj3starz:

The cervix would normally swell from trying to push the baby out when the cervix isn't dilated... Unless she's been actively trying to push, I doubt she is swollen.
    Even so, it shouldn't stop her from delivering vaginally. She has a few weeks before she should go into labor anyway.
    The cervix is usually very sensitive during pregnancy and even more so near the end because of blood flow and pressure from the baby.

This all seems very off.

• joyful_mama
    January 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I'm calling BS on that one too. Now in labor, pushing before it's time sure, but at 36 wks? Not buying it. 

• MonicaV1982
    January 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I lose respect for people that tell me what they think I want to hear to "shut me up."

Quoting joyful_mama:

I'm calling BS on that one too. Now in labor, pushing before it's time sure, but at 36 wks? Not buying it. 

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    January 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM

So her cervix being swollen at 36 weeks is a reason for a section? thats a new one for me..sorry sounds like hte doc has his or her own reasons for it and it telling the mom nonsense

• MaryJarrett
    January 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Her cervix is probably swollen from having some drs hand up her hooha when it's not needed. Did he try to strip her membranes with/without consent? And trauma can cause swelling anywhere on your body. Sounds like that drs full of it.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts