Natural Birth & Parenting

Corina1987
I would love to hear advice on laboring at home
January 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM
This is my first baby. I am due april 5. I want to labor for the most part at home. Tell me about your experience. Thank you!

Replies

• Mrs.Salz
    January 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

There are actually ways to tell how dilated you are or how progressed you are in labor (approximately) without a vaginal exam. http://sarahvine.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/how-dilated-am-i-assessing-dilation-without-an-internal-exam/

For my hospital birth I labored mostly at home and loved the freedom of doing what I wanted, eating/drinking when I needed, vocalizing without concern of what other people thought. I felt safe and secure and supported.

Have you talked with a homebirth midwife to see if a homebirth might be an option for you? Consultations are almost always free. I also highly recommend hiring a doula and reading the book Birthing From Within.

Quoting Corina1987:

Thanks for sharing! It seemed like you had a long labor. Thats so nice you got to do it on your own terms. A hospital would have restricted you to a bed. I wish I could be able to tell how dilated I am at home but I dont have a midwife.Thank you for your well wishes!

• KRYSTALK1013
    January 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM

That's my Hubs' birthday!

I labored at home then made it to the hospital just in time to have my daughter. I spent the entire time on all fours, rocking back and forth. I breathed through my contractions.

• Acarroll21
    January 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    I labored at home:) When I got to the hospital I was a 7 & DD was born 2 hrs later. No doula, just the support from DH, my yoga ball & the shower. My entire labor was 33 hrs, 12 hrs of true labor 4-10cm. My advice would be to keep moving. Concentrate through contractions & listen to your body! Ask me anything
  • Action_Jaxon
    January 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    I wish I had that when I had ds. I was so hungry! And I was pressured into an epi.

Quoting tansyflower:

well i did all my laboring at home because i had a homebirth lol :)

that being said i just kept myself busy and active....lots of walking, sqauting and stairs.  i also rested when i could and relaxed in my bathrub which felt great.  you can have music you like playing, and some good quick food available to munch on.  if you are going to the hospital and want the least amount of opportunities to have interventions then stay home until your contractions are 1-3 minutes apart!  its really easy to go to labor and delivery too soon and then it can cause issues with failure to progress, pitocin and getting an epidural too early or feeling pressured to do one at all.  the best part of laboring at home is you give yourself the free space to move around, drink and eat without the restrictions of iv's and hospital policies.

hope that info helps some :)

• GoodyBrook
    January 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Quoting Corina1987:

Thanks for sharing! It seemed like you had a long labor. Thats so nice you got to do it on your own terms. A hospital would have restricted you to a bed. I wish I could be able to tell how dilated I am at home but I dont have a midwife.Thank you for your well wishes!

Dialation is more important to Medical Professionals, as they use it to show your progress during labor.  And if you're not progressing as fast as they *think* you should, they'll push interventions.

You might go from a 3 to a 10 in 15 minutes, or you might labor for hours at a 4 with no "progress" and then give birth minutes later. 

Knowing your dialiation is not critical for giving birth.  Just listen to your body...

• Corina1987
    January 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    Thank you. That link was very interesting and informative. I would prefer home birth but something in me wants to deliver in the hospital just in case there is a complication because my mom and sister had blood pressure issues during birth. It's just my paranoia. I'm excited.to atleast labor mostly at home. I will look into that book.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

There are actually ways to tell how dilated you are or how progressed you are in labor (approximately) without a vaginal exam. http://sarahvine.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/how-dilated-am-i-assessing-dilation-without-an-internal-exam/

For my hospital birth I labored mostly at home and loved the freedom of doing what I wanted, eating/drinking when I needed, vocalizing without concern of what other people thought. I felt safe and secure and supported.

Have you talked with a homebirth midwife to see if a homebirth might be an option for you? Consultations are almost always free. I also highly recommend hiring a doula and reading the book Birthing From Within.

Quoting Corina1987:

• Corina1987
    January 21, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    Thank you for the information. I guess its easier to try and make labor and birth seem predictable when it isn't. I hope my body gives me information I can intuitively understand at that moment since its my first baby.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Corina1987:

Dialation is more important to Medical Professionals, as they use it to show your progress during labor.  And if you're not progressing as fast as they *think* you should, they'll push interventions.

You might go from a 3 to a 10 in 15 minutes, or you might labor for hours at a 4 with no "progress" and then give birth minutes later. 

Knowing your dialiation is not critical for giving birth.  Just listen to your body...

• Corina1987
    January 21, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    Doctors are always quick to shut people up with drugs instead of being natural. They shouldn't have pressured you. I'm going to give them my birth plan and hopefully they listen.

Quoting Action_Jaxon:

I wish I had that when I had ds. I was so hungry! And I was pressured into an epi.

Quoting tansyflower:

well i did all my laboring at home because i had a homebirth lol :)

that being said i just kept myself busy and active....lots of walking, sqauting and stairs.  i also rested when i could and relaxed in my bathrub which felt great.  you can have music you like playing, and some good quick food available to munch on.  if you are going to the hospital and want the least amount of opportunities to have interventions then stay home until your contractions are 1-3 minutes apart!  its really easy to go to labor and delivery too soon and then it can cause issues with failure to progress, pitocin and getting an epidural too early or feeling pressured to do one at all.  the best part of laboring at home is you give yourself the free space to move around, drink and eat without the restrictions of iv's and hospital policies.

hope that info helps some :)

• Corina1987
    January 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    I appreciate your openess to give advice. Thank you. I'm planning on doing the same. I never knew much about doulas until now and they sound great but I think my partner and I can do it on our own unless there's a complication this time around. That was a very long labor. How did you know when it started? Where do you feel the pain first and how did it change for you?

Quoting Acarroll21:

I labored at home:) When I got to the hospital I was a 7 & DD was born 2 hrs later. No doula, just the support from DH, my yoga ball & the shower. My entire labor was 33 hrs, 12 hrs of true labor 4-10cm. My advice would be to keep moving. Concentrate through contractions & listen to your body! Ask me anything

• Corina1987
    January 21, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    Thanx.My sis and mom were induced too so they can't really tell me how regular labor is. I'm glad we have people on here to help us out with advice. I wish you luck too!

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

I didn't get a chance to labor at home with my DD since I was induced at the hospital. I am having a home birth with my next baby. Sorry I can't help you out, but here is a bump and good luck to you!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN