Natural Birth & Parenting

Precious333
sick dog; Little update
January 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

My mom has a 2/3 yr old chocolate lab who is very sick right now. They went through this last year, spent over 1000 dollars at the vet. My stepdad is unemployed and they have no money for the vet. They took her in last week and payed 200 for iv and antinausea meds. It helped her for that day and thats it. Before she was puking and had diahrrea. Now she refuses to eat and is extremely weak. They cant afford testjng or to take her back to the vet. She tried apple cider vinegar but she would not take it. I suggestes maube peppermint oil or something else. Does anyone have an ideas on how to naturallu treat her? They are afriad she may die.

Update:

So Mocha (the dog) is still having problems. My mom has tried several things. She has given her rice, I believe some eggs (I believe she has kepty down the rice before). Seh changed the food to grain free, and Mocha could not keep that down. She has ben drinking, but mostly refuses to eat, and still had trouble keeping it down when she does. She has gotten really thin, and is still pretty weak. My mom is afraid that she may have blockage, but they can't afford to pay for any tests etc (my fil is unemplyed, my mom takes care of their special needs son....touch situation). Anyways, last year she had this issue and was better i a few days after an IV, they did tests that came back I believe as only a some sort of stomach issue (like maybe a virus or something). So, I dont' know what else they can do. she is such a young dog though :(

Replies

  • justone_jen
    January 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM
    Have her try pumpkin. It's about $1 a can and definitely wouldn't hurt! I nursed my starved rescue to health with pumpkin and boiled chicken. He wouldn't touch the chicken until he smelled and tasted the pumpkin. Good luck! Poor baby!
  • Precious333
    January 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    Shes been doing cannwd sweet potatoes or yams or somethjng. Also chicken broth.


    Quoting justone_jen:

    Have her try pumpkin. It's about $1 a can and definitely wouldn't hurt! I nursed my starved rescue to health with pumpkin and boiled chicken. He wouldn't touch the chicken until he smelled and tasted the pumpkin. Good luck! Poor baby!

  • Precious333
    January 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM
    I dont know. I will ask


    Quoting skylarkdancer:

    Is the food she's on chicken based? if it is and her original food was also chicken based she needs to be on something that has something completely different as the meat. If they eat the same food for a long time theynwill become sensitive to the main ingredients. Specifically. The meats. And/or grains. I know u said she is on grain free now which is great but it may still have the same protien in it as the original food. Also the aloe I mentioned earlier will truly help with settling her stomach and soothe her gut. Its just like putting aloe on a burn but for the insides.

  • norcalbaby
    January 26, 2013 at 1:46 AM

    Warning, this is long but it may help.

    We have four german shepherds and this exact same thing just happened to one of them. No others got the virus/bacteria..so strange.

    Tosh is 1.5 yrs. Last Friday I noticed she wasn't eating. Saturday I watched her and saw she was drinking water but again no food. She also had a horrible blow-out (as the vet called it) Friday night. Saturday night it was the same thing, big blow-out in the middle of the night. Sunday the vet was closed and by then I was convinced she was quite ill. Monday morning I took her in and she was in shock. Her core temp was 3 degrees under where it should have been and her gums were gray.

    The vet first thought she may have had a blockage (ate who knows what) but since she was so thin by this point that he said he couldn't "feel" anything obtrusive. They put her on an IV, did a complete blood analysis, and then did a barium swallow. They took several x-rays and watched it move slowly but freely over two days. The first blood panel said her kidneys and liver were failing. The barium passed so there wasn't a blockage, she somehow got a horrible bacteria in her gut. Its been touch and go but I picked her up tonight. She came home on clavamox twice a day, canned dog food that specially made for GI upsets, and an anti-diarrheal medication (tube of paste) called Diarsanyl. They fed her pureed chicken baby food in small amouts, four times a day while she was there.

    It cost me just under $1,100..OUCH! She's young though and soo worth it. Its something she can make a full recovery from. The Dr. said its as if she has a bad case of the flu. I hope this helps you some. I thought you may be able to order the antibiotics from PetMeds. Also, our vet has a sliding scale as well as a fund set up through donations for owners who need financial assistance. I can completely sympathise with you and your parents..  :(  It might be worth looking into these options.

    BTW: If your dog ever eats something poisonous or harmful, you can give it a tsp  of peroxide ( depending on size) and it will induce vomiting within a few minutes. It won't help now but it's good to know.  :)

    Good luck!!



  • norcalbaby
    January 26, 2013 at 2:02 AM

    One more quick comment.

    We also feed our dogs a grain-free diet (Natures Domain). This type of dog food is really high in protein and some varities can be hard on a dogs tummy even when they are healthy. 

    I bought a case of canned dog food from the vet thats made by Purina and called EN - GASTROENTERIC. The first few ingredients are: chicken, rice, liver.. I wonder if your mom could make a bland pureed wet dog food using the above ingredients and offer it to Mocha.   ..just a thought.  :)

  • PoodleMum
    January 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM

    Our dog has allergies, he was so sick and we were so close to just putting him down.  He's probably 60-70 lbs now and was barely 40 lbs :/  He would throw up all food and had horrible ear infections, even the hypoallergenic food that was $40/18 lbs was killing him.  He couldn't even keep down chicken and rice.  At a show, someone reccomended ProPlan Salmon and Rice for Sensitive Skin and Stomach, it's the only food he can eat

  • ameraznkimko
    January 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    I really thing they should take the dog to the the vet and try to get under a payment plan..some places offer that..I know It can be extremely expensive but that's the price of having an animal..if they think it's a blockage then that is something serious..the dog is only suffering if things are getting worse
  • Precious333
    January 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

     


    Quoting ameraznkimko:

    I really thing they should take the dog to the the vet and try to get under a payment plan..some places offer that..I know It can be extremely expensive but that's the price of having an animal..if they think it's a blockage then that is something serious..the dog is only suffering if things are getting worse

    we have been asking for good vets aound, but with a new vet requires new fees, they have also been calling around as well. I think you're right.

     

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts