Natural Birth & Parenting

FrumpyMama
Dads at the Birth
January 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

What was your Dh's take on the birth?

Replies

• joyful_mama
    January 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

My husband has that useless feeling. That seems odd to me because I find it so comforting to have him there. He says he just feels like he isn't helping, especially the times I was in the water.

• Precious333
    January 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    I joke and say my dh could totally be a doula! He is 100% there at my births.
  • annelauer
    January 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    Not so great with the first. By the third, he was a pro!
  • illegallyblonde
    January 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    He was ok. He actually watched a few births during his OB rotation so my birth was not his first. But he really didnt do much, which was actually ok with me. I had my mother there (former mw) as my doula and coach, then two other female mw. Bc baby was breech there was a lot of moving around and he really felt in the way with all the professionals. He also had a lot of anxiety and threw up at one point. Poor guy.

Next time if I have my peaceful water birth I'm sure he'll be more helpful. My dad was my mothers assistant back in the day and he loved being involved with birth.
  • tabi_cat1023
    January 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My hubby does whatever I ask, I hate being touched during a contraction or even talked to so he is silent then and once its over he asks what he can do for me

• lactatingloon
    January 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    My birth was so fast I barely remember dh being there lol he was just clinging to the side of the bed, didn't say a word until after it was all over and I asked him how much ds weighed lol poor guy. He said the other night that he is more prepared now for future births
  • Mrs.Salz
    January 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Mine's kinda the same way, especially since I don't really like being touched. But I find just his presence to be really helpful.

Quoting joyful_mama:

My husband has that useless feeling. That seems odd to me because I find it so comforting to have him there. He says he just feels like he isn't helping, especially the times I was in the water.

• bellaamore
    January 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Quoting joyful_mama:

This.

Sadly, this summer, hewill be less there during labor as he will be taking care of ourdaughter, but, he will be there when it matters.:)

• rfurlongg
    January 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    My Dh was my rock and I could not have had an intervention free births without him.
  • outstandingLove
    January 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Mine did okay. The most important part was he showed me strength when i had to go in for a csection even tho he cried when i wasnt looking. I would never have known he cried at all if he wouldnt have told me later.

Natural Birth & Parenting