Natural Birth & Parenting

Momma2013
Help! Low Platelets...
January 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I'm 38 weeks today, according to a size guess from an ultrasound when I was about 23 weeks. I've always measured exactly what I am since then and have been doing great. I got a blood test last week that said my platelets were low and dr is suggesting inducing soon. Idk how to naturally increase them quickly! HELP! Is there any essential oil or something that will raise them in just a few days? I've been searching online all day!
I don't want to be chemically induced at all! I also don't want to put my baby or myself at risk so any help is good. Should we get to the "dangerously low" level what are the most natural ways to try to move labor along. I've been having some contractions and am a little dialated. So sex, walking, lots of water nipple stimulations... What about sweeping the membranes? I've heard it can hurt but if labors already started it can help it progress faster...
Sorry this is so long, I'm scared.

Replies

• SAHM927
    by SAHM927
    January 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    There is no reason to induce early for low platelets. I technically have thrombocytopenia, which is a fancy word for low platelets. What was your count? Throughout my pregnancy I was between 110 and 120 with no issues. All they did was monitor them by monthly blood draws, but it was not an issue whatsoever.
  • Momma2013
    January 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM

157 the first time, about 4 months along

143 for my glucose test

135 last week

Not sure about this week yet, find out tomorrow. She said if it gets too low. Well what's too low?

Did you get pitocin after delivery? I want NO drugs during or after

Quoting SAHM927:

There is no reason to induce early for low platelets. I technically have thrombocytopenia, which is a fancy word for low platelets. What was your count? Throughout my pregnancy I was between 110 and 120 with no issues. All they did was monitor them by monthly blood draws, but it was not an issue whatsoever.

• littlelambe2
    January 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Absolutely no reason to induce because of low platelets. I have had low platelets with each of my pregnancies. It is fairly common, and not dangerous unless you go very low. It's last pregnancy, my platelets hovered around 130. They just tested them every other month and upon admittance at the hospital to make sure they didn't nosedive. The main risk of low platelets is more bleeding and possible hemorrhage after birth. A csection would be dangerous. Do you know what your number is? Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to increase platelet count. Mine returned back to normal by my 6 week pp checkup. 

• littlelambe2
    January 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I know I'm not the one you quoted but..... I think my lowest platelet count on record was 128. My doctor wasn't really that concerned about it. I labored and delivered without drugs. I did not get pitocin after delivery. I had a bit more bleeding after the birth of my second, but no hemorrhage. Bleeding slowed within a few hours.

its normal for your platelet level to decrease as your overall blood volume increases. "Too low" would vary by provider. You are not in a danger zone by any means at your current level. Good luck. 

Quoting Momma2013:

157 the first time, about 4 months along

143 for my glucose test

135 last week

Not sure about this week yet, find out tomorrow. She said if it gets too low. Well what's too low?

Did you get pitocin after delivery? I want NO drugs during or after

Quoting SAHM927:

• SAHM927
    by SAHM927
    January 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Sounds like she is trying to push an induction. Yes I had pitocin but my DD was not a natural birth, I had a cervidil induction and one thing lead to another. But I was much lower than you and had no issues of bleeding, etc. Usually if it gets around 70 or lower than you could be at risk for bleeding out. 

• Momma2013
    January 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM

135 last week. When yours were that low did you have to take pitocin or anything after birth?

Quoting littlelambe2:

Absolutely no reason to induce because of low platelets. I have had low platelets with each of my pregnancies. It is fairly common, and not dangerous unless you go very low. It's last pregnancy, my platelets hovered around 130. They just tested them every other month and upon admittance at the hospital to make sure they didn't nosedive. The main risk of low platelets is more bleeding and possible hemorrhage after birth. A csection would be dangerous. Do you know what your number is? Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to increase platelet count. Mine returned back to normal by my 6 week pp checkup. 

• Momma2013
    January 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Yea - I've gotten that feeling from her since the past few visits. She can kiss my butt about inducing this week. But you guys make me feel better about not inducing just because of that anyways. :) THANKS! I'm very headstrong in knowing I want my baby safe and drugging him up before his arrival isn't safe in my book :)

I basically told her that I don't want to rush anything and that we'll see where the numbers are and we can talk. My mom said hers were always about 80 and my grandmas even lower at 60.

Quoting SAHM927:

Sounds like she is trying to push an induction. Yes I had pitocin but my DD was not a natural birth, I had a cervidil induction and one thing lead to another. But I was much lower than you and had no issues of bleeding, etc. Usually if it gets around 70 or lower than you could be at risk for bleeding out. 

• littlelambe2
    January 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Nope. My doctor applied traction on the cord and also massaged my uterus through my abdomen to help the placenta detach. With my first birth, placenta took about 45 mins. This last birth it took about 25 mins. I am afraid to get any drugs because I'm highly sensitive to them!! Just remember, it's your body, your choice. If I was hemorrhaging badly, I would consent to pitocin. But I completely trust my doctor to make that call. And I know I would be informed before he administered it. 

135 is completely safe. If you drop below 100, there could be cause for concern. When my doc and I discussed it, he told me that above 100 was fine. 

My platelet levels from my hospital records:

first check while pregnant approx 1 month: 146

check on my due date: 130

check upon hospital admittance at 9 days past edd: 125

hospital records indicate MILD thrombocytopenia with no other symptoms. My doc practices evidence based medicine so I trust if it was a problem, he would say so. Sounds like you might have an induction happy provider?

Quoting Momma2013:

135 last week. When yours were that low did you have to take pitocin or anything after birth?

Quoting littlelambe2:

• littlelambe2
    January 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

You could try upping vit B12 and folic acid to see if that helps. If your body is deficient in these vitamins, platelet production may decrease. I don't know how quickly supplementing would work, though, or even how effective it would be. 

• aimhawk
    by aimhawk
    January 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM

my brother has a blood platelet disease. the normal range is 100,000 - 500,000. They do not consider his low until 20,000. http://www.tandurust.com/endocrine-system/increase-blood-platelet-count.html

You can try acupuncture, acupressure, massage, spicy food, pineapple. Sweeping membranes is uncomfortable. it did nothing for me, but one severe night of cramps.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts