Natural Birth & Parenting

ekh2010
Whats the point of gd test?
by ekh2010
January 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Dr and nurses are upset that i dont want it. I feel fine baby is fine i eat healthy and am taking care of myself best i can. My last appnt at 29+2 i measured 32 weeks...dr sd big baby and walked out. His assistant sd cld be big baby or wrong lmp. Either way he sounds healthy and is very active. Has his dads big nose and head...ouch but everything looked great at 20wk scan and the elective. If i take the damn test to make everyone shut up i have to fast be pricked 3x and have a busy 5yo w me. What if it comes back fine and im just farther ahead. Theyre making it seem like im harming my son by not doing this. If i test positive it gives him a legit reason to insist on c sec which i do not want. He schedules them like lunch dates crazy...
I go back next fri. Hes going to ask again why i havent done it. And do a pap...yay.
Hubby refuses to let me go w o a dr or do home birth i know i only have a handful of weeks left but im not looking forward to more visits w him.
Also.... Help w my birth plan....what do i put in it?
Tia!

Replies

• Magnolia7
    January 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The glucose tolerance test after 28 weeks is not accurate.  It should be done between 24-28 weeks, as blood sugar levels rise in a linear fashion during pregnancy.  Tests beyond 28 weeks will most likely be positive as your sugars are simply going to be higher beyond that point.

Overall, I'm not a fan of the test because it is not very precise - search "henci goer gestational diabetes" and read for some excellent insight into that.   I also hate the glucola drink, it made me sick during my last pregnancy, and it's just made of nasty artificial ingredients.  An alternate would be to use a natural simple sugar in the same amount of grams as the glucola.

I highly recommen tracking your blood sugars as mentioned above.  That will give you the most accurate information.  The thing is that if you have a big baby they will assume GD and stick the poor thing repeatedly (when really the baby only needs to stay with mom and nurse). So tracking your sugars now will help save you hassle at the hospital.

Sometimes, people just have big babies.  I was negative for the one hour tolerance test for my first son and he was 10lb2oz. He had no blood sugar issues after birth and was born vaginally with no shoulder dystocia.  He's now a very tall five year old - it was just in his DNA to be big.  That may well be the case with you and yours.

• kiki2382
    January 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    I definitely recommend finding a new provider that more closely follows your natural viewpoint and see what they think. If you have the option in your area, see if you can go to a free standing birth center. So much nicer than a hospital!
  • JoJoBean8
    January 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I always had the test done because I have been over weight with all my pregnancies. If in the future I am a healthy weight and have no signs I would decline.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN