Natural Birth & Parenting

Mrs.Salz
ISO: toddler snack ideas
January 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Looking for ideas for toddler snacks that are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and soy-free.

And of course without refined sugar, corn syrups, additives, etc.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything aside from fruits and veggies (with/without a nut butter), eggs, and meats.

Replies

• AlexSosa
    January 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Do you make your own gluten-free bread? I often keep a peanut butter sandwich with me for lunch whenever I leave the house. You can also make homemade trail mix, I just use raisins, peanuts, and chocolate. But thats for me, and I dont get many sweets because of food limitations.

• larissalarie
    January 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    I think once you eliminate all those nasties, that's about all you're left with! We also do nuts and occasionally dried fruits like raisins for on the go.
    If you have a dehydrator, you can make dried veggie chips.
  • Mrs.Salz
    January 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I don't, we try to avoid all grains.

Quoting AlexSosa:

Do you make your own gluten-free bread? I often keep a peanut butter sandwich with me for lunch whenever I leave the house. You can also make homemade trail mix, I just use raisins, peanuts, and chocolate. But thats for me, and I dont get many sweets because of food limitations.

• Mrs.Salz
    January 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Ooh I'll try the veggie chips. He doesn't like dried apples but he's a huge fan of veggies so maybe those would work for a portable snack.

He loves nut butters but doesn't have enough molars yet to chew nuts :)

Quoting larissalarie:

I think once you eliminate all those nasties, that's about all you're left with! We also do nuts and occasionally dried fruits like raisins for on the go.
    If you have a dehydrator, you can make dried veggie chips.

• littlelambe2
    January 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

what about dehydrated bananas? does hummus work in to your diet? DD loves hummus with celery

• littlelambe2
    January 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

DD also loved frozen blueberries for a snack. It's not portable, it can become messy, but it is a little different than just having fruit.

• mrsrobin
    January 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    Peanut/sun butter in celery with nuts/seeds in it, or rasins. Dried fruits, homemade pureed fruit strips, homemade jerky,.that almond yogurt stuff (made with almond milk instead of dairy), kim chi...

That's all I got of the top of my head. Why such a restrictive diet for a child?
  • Precious333
    January 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    I heard a great idea of settng out a muffin tray for kids to graze on throughout the day. I can include fruits and veggies with dips ( like hummas), you can add nuts as well, maybe some gfdf muffins.
  • Sarah725
    January 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Quoting Precious333:

I heard a great idea of settng out a muffin tray for kids to graze on throughout the day. I can include fruits and veggies with dips ( like hummas), you can add nuts as well, maybe some gfdf muffins.

great idea!
  • catholicmamamia
    January 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Dr Sears nibble tray.. fill with bits of veggies, fruits, dips, etc.  

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN