Natural Birth & Parenting

Mrs.Salz
ISO: toddler snack ideas
January 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Looking for ideas for toddler snacks that are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and soy-free.

And of course without refined sugar, corn syrups, additives, etc.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything aside from fruits and veggies (with/without a nut butter), eggs, and meats.

Replies

• AlexSosa
    January 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Do you make your own gluten-free bread? I often keep a peanut butter sandwich with me for lunch whenever I leave the house. You can also make homemade trail mix, I just use raisins, peanuts, and chocolate. But thats for me, and I dont get many sweets because of food limitations.

• larissalarie
    January 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    I think once you eliminate all those nasties, that's about all you're left with! We also do nuts and occasionally dried fruits like raisins for on the go.
    If you have a dehydrator, you can make dried veggie chips.
  • Mrs.Salz
    January 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I don't, we try to avoid all grains.

Quoting AlexSosa:

Do you make your own gluten-free bread? I often keep a peanut butter sandwich with me for lunch whenever I leave the house. You can also make homemade trail mix, I just use raisins, peanuts, and chocolate. But thats for me, and I dont get many sweets because of food limitations.

• Mrs.Salz
    January 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Ooh I'll try the veggie chips. He doesn't like dried apples but he's a huge fan of veggies so maybe those would work for a portable snack.

He loves nut butters but doesn't have enough molars yet to chew nuts :)

Quoting larissalarie:

I think once you eliminate all those nasties, that's about all you're left with! We also do nuts and occasionally dried fruits like raisins for on the go.
    If you have a dehydrator, you can make dried veggie chips.

• littlelambe2
    January 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

what about dehydrated bananas? does hummus work in to your diet? DD loves hummus with celery

• littlelambe2
    January 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

DD also loved frozen blueberries for a snack. It's not portable, it can become messy, but it is a little different than just having fruit.

• mrsrobin
    January 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    Peanut/sun butter in celery with nuts/seeds in it, or rasins. Dried fruits, homemade pureed fruit strips, homemade jerky,.that almond yogurt stuff (made with almond milk instead of dairy), kim chi...

That's all I got of the top of my head. Why such a restrictive diet for a child?
  • Precious333
    January 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    I heard a great idea of settng out a muffin tray for kids to graze on throughout the day. I can include fruits and veggies with dips ( like hummas), you can add nuts as well, maybe some gfdf muffins.
  • Sarah725
    January 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Quoting Precious333:

I heard a great idea of settng out a muffin tray for kids to graze on throughout the day. I can include fruits and veggies with dips ( like hummas), you can add nuts as well, maybe some gfdf muffins.

great idea!
  • catholicmamamia
    January 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Dr Sears nibble tray.. fill with bits of veggies, fruits, dips, etc.  

Natural Birth & Parenting