Natural Birth & Parenting

melindabelcher
embarrassing birthing noises?
mel
January 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM
This is kind of a spin off.
My total natural delivery I lost my focus and was noisy and overwhelmed for about 2-3 contractions. I got ahold of myself realized I was in transition and birthed the rest of the way with minimal noise except to tell dh and ob to "shut up and i'm well aware babies head is half out, it's stretching I'm not pushing yet" I was confident #3 would be the same. But when I lost it in transition I never got a grip. It was an induction and it was just to fast. I actually was crab walking up the bed as she was coming out, I was to out of it to understand or feel her coming out. It wasnt my finest moment.
Im nervous that with future deliveries if other ppl are in the room i would be embarrassed and feel judged.
For those who had extras (beyond so, medical personell) how did you feel about sounding, grunting etc. did you ever lose it?

Replies

• Precious333
    January 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I've been to several births to take pictures, never once have I been surprised by how a mom labors. I've seen videos too, I would not want someone in the room unless they were supportive anyways.

• Precious333
    January 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

oh, and I didn't care, I was in my own little world, and we had minimal people with us anyways, DH and I don't like a crowd.

• Mrs.Salz
    January 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This is one reason why I don't invite people to my births. I'm working on getting over it, but I'm one of those people who is really self-conscious and continually wondering what people think. I don't want to deal with that while I'm in labor.

• melindabelcher
    mel
    January 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Good. I'm not the only one :)

I'm wanting my next possibly final (hypothetical) baby to be a homebirth with *supportive* family around.
    I know many of our family members have wanted to be present but my own self consciousness has prevented that

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

This is one reason why I don't invite people to my births. I'm working on getting over it, but I'm one of those people who is really self-conscious and continually wondering what people think. I don't want to deal with that while I'm in labor.

• BlessedToBeMe
    January 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I never really considered making noise while in labor as "losing it". In fact, with my last I had back labor & the moaning helped with the pain

• moroccanmommy
    January 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    I farted really big as dd was coming out of the birth canal it was like are welcome song. Lmao

I remember apologizing. The doctor center a look at me and she said it could have been worse.

Farting is a normal part of being a mammal
    Yes it's embarrassing but it happens
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    January 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    No, I agree making sounds isnt losing it. I literally lost it with the last one. I was shouting "no no no" when a contraction started, begging for an epidural, crab walking up the bed. The moaning I love! It.actually felt good.

By losing it I meant like losing my focus/plan etc

Quoting BlessedToBeMe:

I never really considered making noise while in labor as "losing it". In fact, with my last I had back labor & the moaning helped with the pain

• BlessedToBeMe
    January 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

oh, gotcha

i did have those moments with each of my labors & told everyone I didn't want to do it anymore & that I quit LOL. I always look back on that & it makes me laugh, especially that I'v felt/said the same thing all 4 times:)

Quoting melindabelcher:

No, I agree making sounds isnt losing it. I literally lost it with the last one. I was shouting "no no no" when a contraction started, begging for an epidural, crab walking up the bed. The moaning I love! It.actually felt good.
    By losing it I meant like losing my focus/plan etc

Quoting BlessedToBeMe:

• littlelambe2
    January 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

With my first, I knew I had to push, I felt the urge to push, but I was scared of feeling the head travel through tthe birth canal. So I didn't actively start pushing until I could no longer control myself and my body was doing the pushing without me. By that time, low guttural noises were coming from my mouth and it was LOUD. I didn't realize how loud it was until after the birth. EVERYONE in the waiting room heard me. I was embarrassed. But at the time I wasn't because only my mom and a nurse were in the room and I only thought they could hear me! Lol

• Mrs.Salz
    January 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I think at some point most women get into "laborland" and don't care much about what's going on around them or who sees them naked. lol

Maybe you could invite them to the birth, explain your reservations, and have the expectation that you/your doula/DH will ask them to leave at any time if you are uncomfortable?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Good. I'm not the only one :)

I'm wanting my next possibly final (hypothetical) baby to be a homebirth with *supportive* family around.
    I know many of our family members have wanted to be present but my own self consciousness has prevented that

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Natural Birth & Parenting