Natural Birth & Parenting

Evelynrosser
Anxious at 40wks +4
January 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I am 40+4 weeks today and I have an appointment at hospital this week. I am worried they will want to induce me. I will not allow them to induce me before 42wks unless there is a sound medical reason. I'm just wondering what I can do to help this baby along? I had an all natural vaginal birth with my DD 5. This time around I'm quite anxious about labour and I'm wondering if that might be why labour hasn't started. I know bub will come when he is ready I'm just finding this waiting game hard. DD was born at 40+ 1. So any advice from you all would be appreciated

**** Thanks ladies. I have no intention of allowing them to induce. I'm just concerned because for weeks I have been having stabbing pains in my cervix, which I assumed was it dilating but since my due date that has all seemed to have stopped. Has anybody else experienced these pains and know what they are for sure? They were happening every day?

Replies

• Terpsichore
    January 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM

The average baby is ready at 40 weeks + 8 days, some earlier and some later. If they try scaring you into induction, find out why, go home, and research it asap. It's so easy to scare someone into thinking there is no time to verify what the doctors are saying.

• TrentsMom84
    January 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

my advice is quit worrying about being "overdue" your body will go into labor when it's ready

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    January 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Technically you should have 42 full weeks. Honestly nothing will work unless your body and baby are both ready. Doctors will probably come up with all sorts of reasons to induce but you do not have to agree to it!

Good luck and hang in there

• cpflum08
    January 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    My 3rd was born the latest at 41.1 weeks. She was also my smallest baby. They come when they want to because only they know when it's time:)

You could have sex to help soften your cervix:)
  • Mrs.Salz
    January 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Have you considered not going to anymore prenatal appointments? Extra stress, anxiety, and pressure to "perform" definitely makes it more difficult for your body to start the labor process.

My suggestion - try to pinpoint what you're afraid of, do some research on it. Spend a fun day getting your nails done, shopping, whatever would be fun and take your mind off your upcoming birth.

• Evelynrosser
    January 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    Thanks, I won't let them induce. It's just I had pains in cervix for weeks until due date now nothing......? I felt as though he was coming soon, now I don't feel like he is coming soon

Quoting Cynthje:

Technically you should have 42 full weeks. Honestly nothing will work unless your body and baby are both ready. Doctors will probably come up with all sorts of reasons to induce but you do not have to agree to it!

• Cynthje
    by Cynthje
    January 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

:( i remember the pains in the the cervix area and they sucked....mine started early in pregancy so i never saw them as an indication of anything really. He will come soon enough though!!!

Quoting Evelynrosser:

Thanks, I won't let them induce. It's just I had pains in cervix for weeks until due date now nothing......? I felt as though he was coming soon, now I don't feel like he is coming soon

Quoting Cynthje:

• Evelynrosser
    January 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    I haven't because at this app. They will check that everything is ok. The anxiety is more about labour itself, I had a trouble free drug free 6 hr labour with DD but that was 5 years ago so I'm just being silly I know it's just I didn't know what I was getting into with her, this time I know iykwim?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Have you considered not going to anymore prenatal appointments? Extra stress, anxiety, and pressure to "perform" definitely makes it more difficult for your body to start the labor process.

My suggestion - try to pinpoint what you're afraid of, do some research on it. Spend a fun day getting your nails done, shopping, whatever would be fun and take your mind off your upcoming birth.

• Evelynrosser
    January 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    I agree. I'm just not good at waiting lol. Sex isn't an option as baby's dad didn't want baby so I'm on my own. Could be why I'm so anxious....

Quoting cpflum08:

My 3rd was born the latest at 41.1 weeks. She was also my smallest baby. They come when they want to because only they know when it's time:)

You could have sex to help soften your cervix:)

• cemcnair
    January 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    Also, baby boys tend to need to cook a bit longer because their lungs don't develop as fast! Hang in there!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts