Natural Birth & Parenting

Precious333
dellivering the placenta
January 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

How long did it take for you to deliver your placenta?

My first birth the doctor waited a whole 9 minutes before she decided to take it out! It caused me to loose a lot of blood, go into shock and have an inverted uterus, which they had to take me to the OR and knock me out to fix, plus they gave me a blood transfusion.

My second and third birth it took a long time for me to  let go of the placenta for some reason. I don't know why that is, forget how long, maybe like 30 minutes!  Why is that? Is that just how my body is? I am hoping to find a midwife so I can do another homebirth, but if we had to go to the hospital again, I really worry that first of all, they won't let me push in the position I need to, and second, that they won't want for my placenta to deliver on my own, and put me at risk again my trying to force it out.

Replies

• doulala
    by doulala
    January 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

About 30 minutes after my deliveries.

It can take hours, even til the next day.

• ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    January 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    I had PPH with both so my placenta was kinda massaged out or however they do it
  • Precious333
    January 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting doulala:

About 30 minutes after my deliveries.

It can take hours, even til the next day.

so, I'm pretty normal I guess!

• Mrs.Salz
    January 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

30 mins is average. It's common to take longer.

We're just used to quick delivery because it's rushed/augmented in most hospital deliveries.

If you're not bleeding heavily, there's no need to rush the 3rd stage.

Had your babies started nursing during that 30 minute period?

• Precious333
    January 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting ceckyl:

I had PPH with both so my placenta was kinda massaged out or however they do it

yeah, we did the massages too

• Precious333
    January 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

30 mins is average. It's common to take longer.

We're just used to quick delivery because it's rushed/augmented in most hospital deliveries.

If you're not bleeding heavily, there's no need to rush the 3rd stage.

Had your babies started nursing during that 30 minute period?

ys, my second took a hile befre he as interested, my third was born latching! lol

• nikzup03
    Honestly, I don't even remember!! Lol. It must not have been long though.... That's my guess
  • ballerina.2006
    I can't recall with my 1st. I was exhausted and drugged..

Ds it was within 10min or so. The dr got pissy telling me not to push (my entire push stage/delivery was super quick so the placenta naturay came as fast for me). Dr was pissy because I was "forcing" or something but it was 100% my body.

I'm interested to see how long it takes this time.
  • MissSarah04
    January 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    I honestly have no idea. I was in an adrenaline daze and I remember her on my chest for awhile. Then they cut the cord and I nursed her I wasn't really paying attention to what my midwife was doing down there because I was over the moon in love with my baby. Lol.

I don't know if they let it come out on its own or used cord traction but I know they didn't give pitocin (which I know is standard procedure in many hospitals sadly).
  • Precious333
    January 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Quoting MissSarah04:

I honestly have no idea. I was in an adrenaline daze and I remember her on my chest for awhile. Then they cut the cord and I nursed her I wasn't really paying attention to what my midwife was doing down there because I was over the moon in love with my baby. Lol.

I don't know if they let it come out on its own or used cord traction but I know they didn't give pitocin (which I know is standard procedure in many hospitals sadly).

yeah, they gave me pit in the hospital, but it was after the placenta was delivered.....so painful!

Natural Birth & Parenting