Natural Birth & Parenting

Amycapl
advice for my toddler's TERRIBLE breath!!
by Amycapl
December 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM

my three year old wakes up with the most awful morning breath i have ever smelled.  i'm not exaggerating when i tell you that it literally stinks up the whole room.  DH had been sleeping on the couch and this morning came into our room to wake us up and asked "what's that horrible smell?"  well it was DD's breath!!  she is kind of a mouth breather and her drool gets on her face (and usually my hand that she likes to lay on) and just.... marinates. gross. we brush her teeth morning and ngiht with Tom's Strawberry for kids.  anyone know if there's something else i can do about this??  i guess it doesn't REALLY matter that much... but i'd like it if i could wake up next to NORMAL morning breath in my face once in a while.....

Replies

• tsmcconnell
    December 29, 2012 at 7:06 PM

My dd has always had terrible breath since a toddler. Our pedi recommended yogurt or probiotics. He says some kids just have more odor causing bacteria than others. We use mouth rinse now and encourage lots of water.

• Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    December 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM

thanks!  we stick to a plant based diet, but i wonder if there are active cultures in soy yogurt. i'll have to check it out!

Quoting tsmcconnell:

My dd has always had terrible breath since a toddler. Our pedi recommended yogurt or probiotics. He says some kids just have more odor causing bacteria than others. We use mouth rinse now and encourage lots of water.

• tsmcconnell
    December 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I bet there might be. There are standards followed to be considered yogurt. I hope you find a solution. With Evelynn we are still batteling it. I wish there was some kind of mint juice she could drink that would help lol. No such luck. Parsley? lol

Quoting Amycapl:

thanks!  we stick to a plant based diet, but i wonder if there are active cultures in soy yogurt. i'll have to check it out!

Quoting tsmcconnell:

• catholicmamamia
    December 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Perhaps set a sippy of water near for her to sip on?

• catholicmamamia
    December 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Probiotics to balance her flora.

• Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    December 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    Quoting catholicmamamia:

Perhaps set a sippy of water near for her to sip on?

Trying to get her to STOP drinking water at night to get her out of overnight diapers! LOL!
  • XxPixiesworldxX
    December 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Have you checked all her teeth lately? My son has this issue and it turned out he had decay that I couldnt see...

• JaxMomma78
    December 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    Has she always beeen like that? Or just recently? Some kids get stinky breath just before they get sick. I call it "sick breath"
  • Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    December 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM

she just had a dentist appt a couple weeks ago and everything was fine!

Quoting XxPixiesworldxX:

Have you checked all her teeth lately? My son has this issue and it turned out he had decay that I couldnt see...

• Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    December 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM

no,she's pretty much always been stinky :/  i feel kinda like a rotten person for talking about her like this.... LOL

Quoting JaxMomma78:

Has she always beeen like that? Or just recently? Some kids get stinky breath just before they get sick. I call it "sick breath"

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN