Natural Birth & Parenting

SadieJames
Package Inserts - Medical
December 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quick question someone may be able to answer:

Why do doctors follows the package inserts for some things but not others? For example, often vaccines say "untested" or "unsafe" for pregnant and breastfeeding women but doctors push us to get the shot/medicine (TDaP, Flu etc) but some medicines and/or medical procedures (antibiotics, barium, IV contrast) that are safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding are not recommended.  

I just got told by my SIL she "couldn't" breastfeed because she has to take amoxicillin and had to pump and dump but she also just got a TDaP vaccine...  I tried to say that was backwards but since I don't have Md after my name she ignored me...

Replies

• jellyphish
    December 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • jellyphish
    December 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Doctors don't get paid when someone does or doesn't nurse. But they do get Paid when vaccines are administered.
  • maddiesmommy5
    December 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

this is the best way to say it nicely...silly Dr's

Quoting jellyphish:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• tabi_cat1023
    December 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

They trust the CDC and CDC says shots are safe...sad but true.

Medications its honestly because they dont know better

• Sarah725
    December 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    Quoting jellyphish:

Doctors don't get paid when someone does or doesn't nurse. But they do get Paid when vaccines are administered.

really?!
  • catholicmamamia
    December 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Because too many are out for their own best interest.... $$$$.... not ours. 

• Mrs.Salz
    December 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Quoting Sarah725:

Quoting jellyphish:

really?!

Why is that surprising?

• catholicmamamia
    December 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Just like formula companies give doctors, nurses, medical centers, etc. kickbacks for giving out formula prescriptions, samples, etc..  pharmaceutical/vaccine manufacturers do the same with medications/vaccines. 

• Mrs.Salz
    December 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM

What tabicat said - they haven't spent much time researching vaccines and go by CDC recommendations.

BFing and meds it's because they don't know and prefer to err on the side of caution. I *always* recommend Dr. Thomas Hale's resources for medications for accurate information.

• JoJoBean8
    January 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

That pretty much sums it up

Quoting jellyphish:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts