Natural Birth & Parenting

XMaybebabyX
DTAP vaccine during late pregnancy?
December 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM

My midwife has brought it up a few times. She is highly encouraging me to get it to help protect the baby when he arrives in January. What do you all think? Is it really necessary? She is concerned because there is an outbreak in my area. :( I don't even take tylenol when preggo.......( or not preggo for that matter....lol ) I don't know how I feel about this. I thought that IF I decided to get it, I would wait until after the baby is born, but everything that I have read highly encourages it in late pregnancy because the antibodies will go to the baby before they are born. I don't see why its necessary at all though. I'm going to bf my baby, so he is already going to get antibodies, without the vax. :(

Replies

• schultzal
    December 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Same here.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

ok seriously im totally confused lol all the clinics and hospitals in my area refuse to give it and any type of shot (except the flu shot) to a mom that is pregnant. 

• Sarah725
    December 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

No I would never do that.

• workoutmom2b1g
    December 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

No way!

• corbysmom531
    December 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM

November of 2012 was when the CDC said to vaccinate pregnant women in an effort to prevent pertussis in newborns. 

Quoting schultzal:

Same here.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

ok seriously im totally confused lol all the clinics and hospitals in my area refuse to give it and any type of shot (except the flu shot) to a mom that is pregnant. 

• TDausman
    December 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    They tried pushing it on me at my last ob visit! Thankfully I refused so they checked my records and saw I had it last year. They were just going to give it to me again!
  • katiesing
    December 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    I had it done because my midwife recommended and I trusted her. I wish I wouldn't have done it I had a severe local reaction to it! I had my son like 4 hours after the shot (5cm dialated for a month so labor was fast) so idk if it even had a chance to get to him.
  • melindabelcher
    mel
    December 21, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Exactly my feelings

Quoting jellyphish:

There is no way in hell I would ever get any vaccine while pregnant. Especially this one.

The neuro toxins get to the baby's brain.

I will never understand why we can't eat fish while pregnant, but it's "ok" to inject tons of chemicals into our bodies.

Anyway, check the insert, it says not tested on or recommended for pregnant women.

Breastfeeding and babywearing are the best ways to prevent whooping cough.

• melindabelcher
    mel
    December 21, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    As well as the vaccine allows you to be a silent carrier
  • Amycapl
    by Amycapl
    December 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM

i am pro-vax and i WOULDN'T get the DTaP while pregnant.  just be super cautious about who you hang out with and where you go.  wash your hands frequently and don't kiss anybody else's baby on the mouth ;)

• rachelrothchild
    December 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

No, it is not safe for pregnant women at all.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts