Natural Birth & Parenting

XMaybebabyX
DTAP vaccine during late pregnancy?
December 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM

My midwife has brought it up a few times. She is highly encouraging me to get it to help protect the baby when he arrives in January. What do you all think? Is it really necessary? She is concerned because there is an outbreak in my area. :( I don't even take tylenol when preggo.......( or not preggo for that matter....lol ) I don't know how I feel about this. I thought that IF I decided to get it, I would wait until after the baby is born, but everything that I have read highly encourages it in late pregnancy because the antibodies will go to the baby before they are born. I don't see why its necessary at all though. I'm going to bf my baby, so he is already going to get antibodies, without the vax. :(

Replies

• tabi_cat1023
    December 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I personally refuse to get any vaccine while pregnant because they have NOT been tested on pregnant women and theres no telling what it does to the growing baby

• JoJoBean8
    December 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Heck no

• Juniper53098
    December 29, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I would not get it for all the above mentioned reasons AND the fact that most of the people getting pertussis are VACCINATED.  So, that tells me that the vaccine doesn't work anyway.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    December 29, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I'm not getting it done.  I am 33 weeks tomorrow. It's not something I vaccinate my kids for either.

• XMaybebabyX
    December 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    I refused it again yesterday at my appt. she seemed fine with my final decision
  • NDFanatik
    December 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Ha, no. 

• Nee86
    by Nee86
    December 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    I would not do it.
    I asked my OB about this when I was pregnant with my dd. Thay OB was really up on the lastest research and she advised against getting it during pregnancy. She was worried about the long term effects because there was no research to show what could be be the long term effects.

Natural Birth & Parenting