Natural Birth & Parenting

melindabelcher
Do you temp?
December 12, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Just curious how many moms check temps on their sick kiddos.

We dont even own a thermometer. I don't think knowing the temperature is helpful. It just adds anxiety. We treat symptotically.

Replies

• diamond8
    December 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

i do. first let me say. this is my opinion..but. go out and get a thermometer or one of those forehead strip thingys.that the whole family  can use.. reason...my son a while back had a fever..his face was red and he was acting funny. i did not take his temp because i could tell by touching him he had a fever and i gave him a fever reducer used cold rags etc..... after an hour i went to check on him and he was red all over. mind you my son is lt skin (black). i took his temp. it was 104!! i rushed him to the er.( had i not checked i would of let him sleep) i so glad i did. the dr explained it was strep and thats why the fever kept coming back. and had i left him to sleep he may of not woke up... temps that high and left uncared for can cause major issues. not saying this to scare you but i dont think theres nothing wrong with monitoring your little one. i like the old fashion anal ones for little kids and use a reg. digital one under the tongue for the older ones. they also have this neat one that you just roll across their forehead...seen it a the dr office.  but to each their own just wanted to share that with ya.

• melindabelcher
    December 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Scary! Glad he was ok!
    I've owned them in the past and had a kiddo who had temps 104-105. The height of the fever doesnt concern me its the behavior. Fevers are a natural needed response to infection. lethargic, inability to eat, in the chance I do medicate I would continue to monitor symptoms to watch for improvement. the height of the fever isn't an indication of how sick/serious. A child with a temp of 101 can be seriously sick while a 105 can just be viral.

Quoting diamond8:

i do. first let me say. this is my opinion..but. go out and get a thermometer or one of those forehead strip thingys.that the whole family  can use.. reason...my son a while back had a fever..his face was red and he was acting funny. i did not take his temp because i could tell by touching him he had a fever and i gave him a fever reducer used cold rags etc..... after an hour i went to check on him and he was red all over. mind you my son is lt skin (black). i took his temp. it was 104!! i rushed him to the er.( had i not checked i would of let him sleep) i so glad i did. the dr explained it was strep and thats why the fever kept coming back. and had i left him to sleep he may of not woke up... temps that high and left uncared for can cause major issues. not saying this to scare you but i dont think theres nothing wrong with monitoring your little one. i like the old fashion anal ones for little kids and use a reg. digital one under the tongue for the older ones. they also have this neat one that you just roll across their forehead...seen it a the dr office.  but to each their own just wanted to share that with ya.

• larissalarie
    December 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    104 doesn't necessarily mean anything scary, I think that was the point of the OP's post. It's just that parents freak when they see that number.
    My kids have had 104 temps and whatever it was passed on it's own. In October the baby was running a high fever (104.3) and because if his accompanying BEHAVIOR we eventually went to the doctor (NOT the ER)

So yeah, I sometimes check their temps, I usually don't.

Quoting diamond8:

• Raeann11
    December 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Yes we check temps and glad we have. My oldest has ended up in the ER a couple of times with an UTI. She was fine and all the sudden spike a temp to 104.5. 

I also don't give them Tylenol or Motrin unless they are 101. So I like to know. There have been times I thought temps were higher they they were. So I am not a good judge at that. The only time I get nervous over  temp is when it is 103.5 or higher. 

My yougest also had one that would not go down. So into the Dr we went. All she was doing was wanting to sleep and cuddle with us. No signs of anything else. Found out she had double ear infection. Wow would have not guess that. She was not rubbing her ears, pulling at them. no sign they were bugging her. With that one it was so bad that between the Chiropractor and medicine it took a month to get rid of it. It was that bad. 

• mostlymaydays
    December 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    My one ds quite commonly gets fevers of 104/105 from when he was 2 until last year at 8, Only him, not my other 3. BUT he had his spleen removed 16 months ago in treatment for a blood disorder and now we're under strict instructions to take him in for blood cultures if he gets 102. He did once last year and he ended up getting transferred by ambulance to the children's hospital but only for fear that might have a virus that people without spleens might succumb quickly to (meningococcal or pneumococcal meningitis specifically). Because of the spleen removal he takes penicillin twice a day, for at least these first 2 years post op.

Typically I live by the belief that the behavior of the child is way more important than the number. A kid with 104 watching tv and siping water isn't as worrisome as a limp listless child with 102.

But other than my one kid, the numbers don't mean much. I know a fever by touch.
  • Jenn8604
    December 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Mine fights the thermometer, I usually don't bother fighting unless he feels really warm. He usually runs low grade fevers and is listless at 99.2.
  • melindabelcher
    December 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    Marcus, has the similar blood disease as your son, was my 104/105 kiddo :) he was the only reason I had a thermometer. He went through ALOT of tylenol/motrin but he hasnt had those fevers in a couple years. he still has his spleen, for now, and his numbers looked good this past summer. I want to hold on to the spleen for as long as possible!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My one ds quite commonly gets fevers of 104/105 from when he was 2 until last year at 8, Only him, not my other 3. BUT he had his spleen removed 16 months ago in treatment for a blood disorder and now we're under strict instructions to take him in for blood cultures if he gets 102. He did once last year and he ended up getting transferred by ambulance to the children's hospital but only for fear that might have a virus that people without spleens might succumb quickly to (meningococcal or pneumococcal meningitis specifically). Because of the spleen removal he takes penicillin twice a day, for at least these first 2 years post op.

Typically I live by the belief that the behavior of the child is way more important than the number. A kid with 104 watching tv and siping water isn't as worrisome as a limp listless child with 102.

But other than my one kid, the numbers don't mean much. I know a fever by touch.

• mostlymaydays
    December 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I remember. The weird fever thing seems so strangely coincidental to me. I think I ran across another mom here with an HS kid and that child also had unusually high fevers.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Marcus, has the similar blood disease as your son, was my 104/105 kiddo :) he was the only reason I had a thermometer. He went through ALOT of tylenol/motrin but he hasnt had those fevers in a couple years. he still has his spleen, for now, and his numbers looked good this past summer. I want to hold on to the spleen for as long as possible!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

• Mrs.Salz
    December 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

We have a thermometer that we've used only once.

Numbers don't mean much to me, but they do mean a lot to a HCP, so I like to know what they are so I get more respect and credibility from them if needed.

• FebPenguins
    December 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I don't have a thermometer.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN