Natural Birth & Parenting

Carter61110
Alternate Gestational Diabetes Testing?
December 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Have any of you done an alternate GD test?

Can you tell me what yours included?

Replies

• greenmama9801
    December 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM

My Ob let me test myself for 2 weeks eating what i would normally eat and documenting the numbers. I brought it to him to look over and then I just diet controlled it. Ive heard a method with jelly beans and one my counselor did with grape juice and milk but I have never done either personally. 

• Klbushman
    December 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    I did a modified diet for 3 days. No sugar and the only carbs I could have we're whole grains. Morning of the test, I could only have a protein breakfast, so I had a ham and cheese omelet. I then drank 10 oz. of Welch's grape juice one hour before my appt. It wasn't too bad :) I passed easily.
  • Carter61110
    December 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM

This was actually the two I was looking at... 

Client Instructions for 2-Hour Post-Prandial

Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Screen

·        Prepare one of the following meals to eat once the screening begins:

3 six-inch whole grain pancakes with butter and syrup

1 egg, prepared any style

6 ounces of natural juice (not grape)

OR

1 piece of fruit (citrus or apple)

8 ounces of natural juice (not grape)

1 sandwich consisting of 2 slices whole grain bread with ¼ cup tuna OR 2 thick slices cheese

Optional: Lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise or mustard

·        You have to fast for this screen: you cannot eat food beginning at midnight the night before the screening.  After midnight you should only have water.

·        We will meet the next morning, optimally between 8:30 and 9:00 am, and I will check your blood glucose level by fingerstick blood sample.

·        If your blood glucose is less than 70, you will have "passed" the screen  You may eat whatever you want---it doesn't have to be the prescribed meal.

·        If your blood sugar is within normal limits (70-120), the next step is for you to eat your "meal."   

·        We will have two hours from the time you finish your "meal" until the second fingerstick blood glucose check.  We can spend this time going over some of the childbirth class topics; discussing what you want/need to learn, or any of your concerns.  If you have an errand you need to run, you can do that too.  Whatever works for you is fine with me.

·        After the 2 hours, we will check your blood glucose again.  If it is low or within normal limits, you have "passed" the screen. If your blood glucose is high, we will discuss follow-up testing and schedule another prenatal visit within a week or two. 

• jellyphish
    December 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    A blood draw after an 8 hr fast (so before bfast). It's more accurate than the glucola tests.
  • H.I.S.
    by H.I.S.
    December 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I had my hemoglobin A1c checked instead.

• GoodyBrook
    December 9, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Midwife pricked my finger with a diabetes machine after a 2 hour wait and specific meal instructions...  Super simple, and the results are accepted by OBs in the case of a transfer of care.

• pinkiebabii
    December 9, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    I had this done and ate a specific meal and had blood drawn exactly two hours later.
    I did take the glucose test however. I failed the first one and then vomited exactly 45 after starting the 3 hr one, twice!
    My midwife didn't want me throwing up all over the birth center again so she didn't try it a third time.

Quoting H.I.S.:

I had my hemoglobin A1c checked instead.

• rachelrothchild
    December 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I've only had my blood sugar tested with a meter.

• Raeann11
    December 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My first and second midwife had a strip they had that tested it at every appointment. I would pee in a cup and she would put in this strip. that tested for a different things. If it ever showed it to be up. We would change my diet and she would give me some strips to test for a bit. If they still came out with it. We would move onto the next thing to do. But never had it show up as I needed any of it. Heck I am purposely at some sweets to see for myself.

• Carter61110
    December 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    Bump

Natural Birth & Parenting