Natural Birth & Parenting

jaybray310
How much does it hurt?
December 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I'm almost 20 weeks into my first pregnancy. I'd like to conisider a natural birth but I'm not sure if I can handle the pain.

I have part of my ovary removed last February and I stil remember the pain from that... and I had pain medication. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges.

But for you moms that have been through it before, seriously, how much does it hurt? Obviously you have to tolerate it because you can pass the point of no return for drugs... but how do you get through it? And have you ever experienced any other pain like it? 

Just trying to imagine what it's like.

Replies

• RheaF
    by RheaF
    December 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Hypnobirthing!!!! I felt bad period cramps and that was all. Even at 9 cms. Compared to my first birth it was amazing! I am now pregnant with my 3rd and plan to use it again.
  • thundersky
    December 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    The contraction for me feel like some one has wrapped a sheet around your stomach and slowly sinches it tighter then release. At the same time as you are trying to pass constipation. That is the best way I can describe it but it always passes and comes and goes.
  • jaybray310
    December 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

• TrouserMouse
    December 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The key is to just focus on you and the baby coming out.  Think about the baby moving down and out with each contraction. The more you lose focus on what your body is doing, the more painful it is.  The more people try to talk to me, ask me to do this or that, want me to move here and there, the more painful it is.  I just have to turn inward and not let those things distract me.  I tell them to shut up and leave me alone...lol.  The more you can just focus and do what your body wants you to do, the less pain you will have.

• TrouserMouse
    December 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM

At that point, you seriously do not care about the pain. Your body is telling you to push and that is what you are worried about.  You can feel it, but it doesn't matter. It is hard to explain.

Imagine if someone you loved was in danger and you hurt yourself trying to save them.  You may know you are hurt, but you aren't really thinking about it that much. It is kind of like that.

Quoting jaybray310:

what about when the baby comes out? i've heard about this ring of fire. did you have that?

• larissalarie
    December 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    Nope, pushing and the baby coming out felt like such a relief.

You are focusing in the wrong things. Fearing the pain makes it hard to have a natural birth. But yes, I have a very high pain tolerance, didn't think it would be THAT bad, and still found birth a pain unlike any other.

Quoting jaybray310:

• peaches_04
    December 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Water birth helped a lot
  • Sunshine_246
    December 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    It depends greatly on attitude. You cannot go into it thinking "maybe, of it's not too hard" the fact is it is freaking hard. Once you decide you will do it get a good support system and care provider that backs you up, educate yourself on pain management you will be able to do it. It hurts and you probably (like most women who go natural) have a moment when you think you can't, but it will pass and pushing in the position that feels right will be a relief. It's is different for every women but it is possible for almost all.
  • jellyphish
    December 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    I had one medicated birth (pit and stadol) and one natural tub labor birth. The difference is astonishing! I was in less pain and much less stress w/o drugs because I was able to move as my body pleased. Being forced on my back and coerced into drugs that kept me tied to a bed was far more agonizing. Natural does not have to mean unbearable, it's all about lisening to and trusting your body while kicking fear out the door.
  • jellyphish
    December 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    I didn't notice this at all, but that could be because I didn't tear (because I was not on my back), and because I was focusing on the baby and not my body.

Quoting jaybray310:

Natural Birth & Parenting