Natural Birth & Parenting

jeorgiamommie
After baby
December 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Does anyone know anything about the depo shot? its what my doc wants to put me on as a form of birth control but i don't know anything about it.

Replies

• SadieJames
    December 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I HATED it.  I gained weight, lost my sex drive and felt awful.  I was on it for six months.  When i quit i bled for months afterwards too.  It messed me up badly.  

Why does your doc want to use it? Remember too its a huge amount of hormones dumped into your body at once.  It's really bad, in my opinion.

• Nicolle_09
    December 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM

DONT that is the worst bc you can get on. I was on it and it has possible cause infertility and it takes more a very very long time to conceive now. It massively throws off your hormones and causes massive weight gain, hair loss, and periods that can last 3 out of 4 weeks.

Thats just the most common complaints too. 

• peaches_04
    December 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    It made me very depressed, bitchy and fat

Soooo not worth it
  • peaches_04
    December 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    And i dont think u can take it while breast feeding
  • peaches_04
    December 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    Oh and it completely took away my sex drive
  • jeorgiamommie
    December 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM

She wants to use it bc i have pmdd which makes me a bitch weather im on my period or not and pills dont work for me YAZ almost killed me and i was on ocella 24 when i got prego with my daughter so it was her next bet

Quoting SadieJames:

I HATED it.  I gained weight, lost my sex drive and felt awful.  I was on it for six months.  When i quit i bled for months afterwards too.  It messed me up badly.  

Why does your doc want to use it? Remember too its a huge amount of hormones dumped into your body at once.  It's really bad, in my opinion.

• thundersky
    December 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM
    How about an IUD. I wouldnt recommend the meraina but maybe the paragard. The meraina gave me PPD really bad it lasted for 3yrs.
  • jeorgiamommie
    December 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM

My doc told me the iud would only make my pmdd worse and not really help with it

• bloomsr
    by bloomsr
    December 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    Do NOT do it. I have never personally had it but all the women I know who have had it have nothing but terrible stories.

I have never heard anyone say one good thing about it and honestly I cannot understand how it's still on the market. Say no no no no no no no to this!!
  • jellyphish
    December 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    The only breastfeeding safe bc are depo, mini pill and iud. I was on depo for three months and had no complaints. Except that I spotted for more than a month, but that's common and went away.
    Then I was on the mini pill but I don't trust myself to be dilligent enough with that.
    Now I have mirena, which took a little getting used to but I like it a lot. Since paraguard is non hormonal I doubt it will help with pmdd.

If you are comfortable wih neither of these you may want to seek advice of an ND. GL!0

Natural Birth & Parenting