Natural Birth & Parenting

ceckyl
Last minute freak out.
by ceckyl
November 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I'm due in 2 weeks and totally getting anxiety about having a hospital birth. I have a solid birth plan that my doc is on board with, a great dh, not going to the hospital until transitional labour, but im just freaking out! I don't want to be there! I have NO midwives in the area, the closest ones are 3 hrs away, and I don't think it's responsible to decide last minute with no extensive research to do an unassisted birth. The hospital is great and baby friendly, I had m dd there. I just don't know why I'm so anxious. My doc is amazing... But left for vaca and I have a new girl whom I've met once delivering. Sorry to ramble.

I swear my stress is putting off labour. Can anyone ease my fears? Good hospital stories!

Replies

• tabi_cat1023
    December 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

HUGS momma, I feel like you do about hospital birth and I have had 4 at the hospital...was there for my friend today and though they are being wonderful I still had anxiety

• nikki0921
    December 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

i had my first dd in a hospital. my doc was amazing nurses were so sweet, they let me labor how i wanted to and listened to wat i needed and wanted.

• Trailerparkmom
    December 3, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Quoting nikki0921:

i had my first dd in a hospital. my doc was amazing nurses were so sweet, they let me labor how i wanted to and listened to wat i needed and wanted.

That was nice of them to "let" you do what you wanted ;-P

• Julia.C
    by Julia.C
    December 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Just remember - even if you go to the hospitial - that YOU ARE IN TOTAL CONTROL.  I lacked a giant deal of confidence with my first son and let the hospital staff and group boss me around.  You are the only person who can say what goes and what doesn't.  I know my experience would have been more pleasant had I just kept that in mind.  But it already sounds like you have a supportive group of Doctors, so I wouldn't worry.

• JoJoBean8
    December 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I would just suggest staying home as long as possible and really having a solid birth plan. 

• thalia7758
    December 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

If your hospital is baby friendly you don't have a thing to worry about. I have a good hospital story for you!

I wanted more than anything to have a natural, unmedicated childbirth but ended up needing a cesarean because the baby was breech (after an unsuccessful version attempt I scheduled the c-sec, and during the surgery we found out I had a very rare uterine anomaly that will make natural births extremely unlikely--so my doctors really did everything they could to make it happen). My water broke a few days early, so I still had a natural onset of labor, and even with a c-section the birth was a crazy-good experience. The surgery was surprisingly not too bad, the staff were amazing, I nursed as soon as I was stiched up, and the lactation consultants and nurses helped with breastfeeding. (Which, btw, is SUPER hard after a cesarean. I mean ouch!) By the time I was discharged my milk had come in, the latch was good, and all I had to do was take an insanely large dose of tylenol every four to six hours. My baby was calm and born with open eyes, and he and I bonded right away. 

At that same hospital, a good friend did a completely unmedicated birth (with THREE doulas, funny story, they just all happened to be there and knew my friend from her interviews with them, and so they all attended her) a couple months before me. She also had great experience. She had some difficulty nursing but that's what consultants are for. :)

The most important thing is to be as calm as possible. I have a lot of anxiety issues so I did a lot of meditation and self-hypnosis before the birthing and it really helped. Trust in yourself, and really, trust in your doctor and nurses. If you can arrange to talk with the new doctor for a few minutes (even over the phone) that could help. Make sure your husband (if he's attending, or whoever else is going to be with you) has your back. 

• moroccanmommy
    December 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    I had the best hospital natural birth.
    My doctor and the staff respected me completely. Have your birth plan in writing. Give to nurse when ur settled in the room. Talk to them about how important it is...
    hugs
  • ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    December 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    Thanks, you're right. A good hospital makes such a huge difference!

Quoting thalia7758:

If your hospital is baby friendly you don't have a thing to worry about. I have a good hospital story for you!

I wanted more than anything to have a natural, unmedicated childbirth but ended up needing a cesarean because the baby was breech (after an unsuccessful version attempt I scheduled the c-sec, and during the surgery we found out I had a very rare uterine anomaly that will make natural births extremely unlikely--so my doctors really did everything they could to make it happen). My water broke a few days early, so I still had a natural onset of labor, and even with a c-section the birth was a crazy-good experience. The surgery was surprisingly not too bad, the staff were amazing, I nursed as soon as I was stiched up, and the lactation consultants and nurses helped with breastfeeding. (Which, btw, is SUPER hard after a cesarean. I mean ouch!) By the time I was discharged my milk had come in, the latch was good, and all I had to do was take an insanely large dose of tylenol every four to six hours. My baby was calm and born with open eyes, and he and I bonded right away. 

At that same hospital, a good friend did a completely unmedicated birth (with THREE doulas, funny story, they just all happened to be there and knew my friend from her interviews with them, and so they all attended her) a couple months before me. She also had great experience. She had some difficulty nursing but that's what consultants are for. :)

The most important thing is to be as calm as possible. I have a lot of anxiety issues so I did a lot of meditation and self-hypnosis before the birthing and it really helped. Trust in yourself, and really, trust in your doctor and nurses. If you can arrange to talk with the new doctor for a few minutes (even over the phone) that could help. Make sure your husband (if he's attending, or whoever else is going to be with you) has your back. 

• jconney80
    December 6, 2012 at 11:58 PM
    Good luck! How are things going? Stress can stall labor so relax!
  • ceckyl
    by ceckyl
    December 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    I started losing my plug yesterday, so hopefully soon!

Quoting jconney80:

Good luck! How are things going? Stress can stall labor so relax!

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN