Natural Birth & Parenting

ashuiren
Normal hemoglobin and other CBC questions *Update*
November 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I have the results from my son's 9 month CBC. The hemoglobin was 11, so not far from the range it shows they were looking for (11.3-14.1). In a kellymom article, though, I saw 10.2 mentioned as normal, so now I'm wondering what is really normal and what is cause for concern. Either way, I'm thinking all he's fine and as long as he's getting breastmilk and healthy solids I probably don't need to give him iron supplements.

The reason she wanted him retested was because his neutrophils were 562 instead of 1500-8500 and his monocytes were 1986 instead of 200-1000. I have no idea what that really means. I only saw his nurse today for the new blood draw, plus I didn't have the numbers yet, so I didn't really ask a lot of questions. Now I'm home wondering how much I should worry until I hear back from them, lol

Everything was normal in the second wbc count. His hemoglobin was a little lower, but not enough to make much difference. :-)

Replies

• ashuiren
    November 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

And I just found 10.5 to 14 as average for hemoglobin on kellymom, so he's fine according to that.

• paknari
    by paknari
    November 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    Your hemoglobin is fine. Neutrophils are usually the most abundant wbcs on an average person so to retest would be normal. Neutrophils fight of bacterial infections. Your monocytes are high. That's abnormal because those are one of the least common
  • ashuiren
    November 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thanks. He had a cold a few weeks before the first blood test. The doctor said sometimes viruses can cause that kind of shift, so I hope that's all it was. I should hear tonight or Monday morning what today's results are.

• Sarah725
    November 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    I child under the age of one has mostly lymphocyte not neutrophils so I would think those are fine. Sometime you can have more eosinophils and monocytes due to a viral infection or allergies.I wouldn't be to worried. Was his wbc's elevated?
  • ashuiren
    November 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

His overall wbc was 10.4, so normal. When I spoke to his doc after getting the first results back, I thought she said they usually don't look at the breakdown of wbcs unless they see something in the overall wbc count. Looking at the results, I'm not sure what made them do the more detailed look in the first place.

• ashuiren
    December 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

BUMP!

• JoJoBean8
    December 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    Glad everything went well.
  • Sarah725
    December 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Glad you got nothing but good news.

• Sarah725
    December 4, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Sometimes when a child is crying it can elevate results, that might be what happened the first time around.

• ashuiren
    December 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Thanks! Honestly he was pretty calm both times, maybe a little calmer the second time, but not much different. That's good to know, though. 

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts