Natural Birth & Parenting

jellyphish
OT: Conscientious shopping?
November 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Do you value where your dollar goes when you spend it?
I've always been a BUG supported of local and small businesses, I refuse to shop at Walmart or sams club, I avoid Nestlé. And now I'm starting to learn how evil amazon is, like on a BIG scale.
As much as I can I only shop at places that I believe do our country and economy good. I'm just feeling a little discouraged like I'm the only one out there that shops with businesses' ethics and the immediate economy in mind.

Replies

• larissalarie
    November 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    Great job doing your part! I'm guilty of shopping at the big stores too often because of my financial limits.
  • bloomsr
    by bloomsr
    November 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    I buy almost all of our shoes, clothing and toys second hand from Goodwill type stores. I grocery shop at small, local grocery chains. I am starting to buy more organic food and I try to make all of our cleaning supplies. I firmly agree with the "every dollar you spend casts a vote for the type of world you want" philosophy (idk where that quote comes from but it really resonates with me).

Christmas is uncomfortable for me bc I prefer to donate $ and give (nice, like new) used gifts... My family takes me with a grain of salt, I feel. I really don't think it's important to give something new in a package- it creates a ton of waste and costs a lot more $.
  • sreichelt26
    November 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    Same here.

Quoting larissalarie:

Great job doing your part! I'm guilty of shopping at the big stores to often because of my financial limits.
  • hapababies
    November 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    I try my best to avoid certain big businesses and go to mom and pop type businesses. But I am guilty of convienance shopping.
    One thing I am proud of is that my wedding, with the exception of the designer of my dress and dh's tux, was planned with all small and local businesses. Our invitations were made by a wham :)
    I am trying to be more concious of buying products made in the USA, but it's getting harder to find USA made products.
  • Gingerella
    November 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM

It's something I'm working on but at the holidays it's especially  hard. I'm especially trying to this year with my efforts to simplify the holidays. 

• schultzal
    November 29, 2012 at 11:11 PM

We buy a lot of things from local thrift stores, shop at local markets and butchers for groceries, and eat at locally-owned restaurants/cafes when we go out. Fortunately, the only big name shops within a reasonable distance are two grocery stores (I refuse to shop at one of them), and KMart. I occasionally order online from Target Australia. I buy baby things from small Australian businesses that are either local (not many) or are online.

• jconney80
    November 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    Pretty much all of the kids presents this year are used (in awesome condition of course). I buy mostly all of our clothes from thrift stores or on eBay. OUAC is one of my favorite stores and typically they are owned by local people. I do care about what brands I buy and where I buy from. Sometimes it doesn't always win over financial situations but I try to reuse and be as resourceful as possible.... Family cloth, cloth napkins, don't use many paper products at all, homemade cleaners, homemade detergents, cloth diapers and wipes, etc. I shop at a local grocery store for the most part. I don't ever buy from Nestle either.

But I'm becoming more like that about Christmas. SO many resources are used and so much waste is created from this time of year with all of the demand from shoppers. There are so many nice things out there for a fraction of the price and you're putting money into local peoples pockets when you buy stuff used like from Craigslist etc. My kids don't care if stuff is used. They're too excited to get it lol

Quoting bloomsr:

I buy almost all of our shoes, clothing and toys second hand from Goodwill type stores. I grocery shop at small, local grocery chains. I am starting to buy more organic food and I try to make all of our cleaning supplies. I firmly agree with the "every dollar you spend casts a vote for the type of world you want" philosophy (idk where that quote comes from but it really resonates with me).

Christmas is uncomfortable for me bc I prefer to donate $ and give (nice, like new) used gifts... My family takes me with a grain of salt, I feel. I really don't think it's important to give something new in a package- it creates a ton of waste and costs a lot more $.
  • Nicolle_09
    November 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I try to but when you live in the middle of nowhere and can only do to bigger towns where there are places other then a mercantile amazon.com and walmart.com and diapers.com really become a lifesaver. If we lived somewhere else it would be a different story though cause I love looking around in mom and pop stores. 

• jellyphish
    November 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM
    Oh I'm so glad to see you're all trying too! I'm certainly far from guilty, I definitely didn't mean that I'm perfect and only shop at small/local places. And I absolutely understand the financial stresses of conscientious shopping. I just think about all the people that don't care and the big difference we can make for our country if we all spent our money more ethically and it's frustrating!

Anyway, thanks, its nice to know I'm in good company!
  • catholicmamamia
    November 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

We are conscientious shoppers.. not perfect by far, but we do what we can when we can. We love Target and Whole Foods, and do not give our business to Walmart or Nestle.

Natural Birth & Parenting