Natural Birth & Parenting

schultzal
Question about baltic amber.
November 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

How old was your little one when you started putting it on them? Every site I've looked at simply says "Children under 3 should be supervised when wearing baltic amber." 

Replies

• MorganTho
    November 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    3 months. They're probably worried about choking?
  • Nicolle_09
    November 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

thats just a safety warning but its up to the parent, most moms start at an early age like a few months. 

• schultzal
    November 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what all of the websites said. I just had no idea when it would be beneficial for my DD to start wearing it. Do you put it on an ankle for sleep times? Take it off for the bath? Thank you!

Quoting MorganTho:

• schultzal
    November 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Great, thank you!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

thats just a safety warning but its up to the parent, most moms start at an early age like a few months. 

• catholicmamamia
    November 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM

When teething symptoms first appeared. 

• Lynette
    by Lynette
    November 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM

always take it off for baths.  if you get lotion or soap on it then it will be ruined.  I finally ordered one for DS, he has needed one for a while now.  He's getting for Christmas(he'll be 9mo then).

How to Care for your Amber Jewelry

Because amber is soft and can be brittle, it’s important to be careful that it not come in contact with chemicals. Your amber should not be stored with other jewelry where it can rub against other pieces, especially metals. It is recommended that you place your amber in a soft pouch (flannel and velvet are ideal for this purpose) with a drawstring for closing.

Be sure to keep perfume or hairspray and similar chemicals away from your amber and never place your jewelry in commercial cleaning solutions. Remove your amber jewelry when bathing to keep shampoos and other products from coating the amber. Also remove when applying sunscreen.

To clean your amber, use a soft flannel cloth or an unused toothbrush dampened with clean lukewarm water. Dry in the sun.

• MorganTho
    November 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    I left it on all the time. Take it off occasionally to clean it. At night I would put it under her Pjs. They type we have is knotted between each bead so if it breaks it won't spill the beads everywhere.

Quoting schultzal:

Yeah, that's pretty much what all of the websites said. I just had no idea when it would be beneficial for my DD to start wearing it. Do you put it on an ankle for sleep times? Take it off for the bath? Thank you!

Quoting MorganTho:

• MorganTho
    November 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Whoops we never take it off Dd! But we also only bathe her with water. Soap seems to dry her skin out.

Quoting Lynette:

always take it off for baths.  if you get lotion or soap on it then it will be ruined.  I finally ordered one for DS, he has needed one for a while now.  He's getting for Christmas(he'll be 9mo then).

Because amber is soft and can be brittle, it’s important to be careful that it not come in contact with chemicals. Your amber should not be stored with other jewelry where it can rub against other pieces, especially metals. It is recommended that you place your amber in a soft pouch (flannel and velvet are ideal for this purpose) with a drawstring for closing.

Be sure to keep perfume or hairspray and similar chemicals away from your amber and never place your jewelry in commercial cleaning solutions. Remove your amber jewelry when bathing to keep shampoos and other products from coating the amber. Also remove when applying sunscreen.

To clean your amber, use a soft flannel cloth or an unused toothbrush dampened with clean lukewarm water. Dry in the sun.

• heathermarie27
    November 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Ds had his at 3 months and we never took it off. He is 16 months and still wears it.
  • schultzal
    November 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

We don't use soap, either. But one site said that getting it wet too often can cause the string to weaken much more quickly. :-/

Quoting MorganTho:

Whoops we never take it off Dd! But we also only bathe her with water. Soap seems to dry her skin out.

Quoting Lynette:

Natural Birth & Parenting