Natural Birth & Parenting

schultzal
Question about baltic amber.
November 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

How old was your little one when you started putting it on them? Every site I've looked at simply says "Children under 3 should be supervised when wearing baltic amber." 

Replies

• jellyphish
    November 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    I put Hera's on at about a month just because I didn't know what was bothering her. The sites are just covering their asses just in case. The necklaces are made to break easily and each bead is individually tied, so choking hazards are minimized. But do what you are comfortable with for sure.
  • Sarah725
    November 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    When I thought baby was teething.
  • tabi_cat1023
    November 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I got my guy some around 8-9 months I think

• tabi_cat1023
    November 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

and my sons necklace is knotted after each bead and isnt strong enough to withstand alot of stress on it

• MorganTho
    November 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Oooh that makes sense. We've gotten almost 2 years out of this one!

Quoting schultzal:

We don't use soap, either. But one site said that getting it wet too often can cause the string to weaken much more quickly. :-/

Quoting MorganTho:

Whoops we never take it off Dd! But we also only bathe her with water. Soap seems to dry her skin out.

Quoting Lynette:

always take it off for baths.  if you get lotion or soap on it then it will be ruined.  I finally ordered one for DS, he has needed one for a while now.  He's getting for Christmas(he'll be 9mo then).

How to Care for your Amber Jewelry

Because amber is soft and can be brittle, it’s important to be careful that it not come in contact with chemicals. Your amber should not be stored with other jewelry where it can rub against other pieces, especially metals. It is recommended that you place your amber in a soft pouch (flannel and velvet are ideal for this purpose) with a drawstring for closing.

Be sure to keep perfume or hairspray and similar chemicals away from your amber and never place your jewelry in commercial cleaning solutions. Remove your amber jewelry when bathing to keep shampoos and other products from coating the amber. Also remove when applying sunscreen.

To clean your amber, use a soft flannel cloth or an unused toothbrush dampened with clean lukewarm water. Dry in the sun.

• illegallyblonde
    November 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    HDS started wearing his when he was about 2 or 3 months. We only take it off for baths and the pool.
  • hapababies
    November 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    I got my son his first amber necklace at 10 months old. He didn't start teething until he was 11 months old. He lost his first necklace in a grocery store during a temper tantrum. I didn't realize he tore it off. I got him a second one and he has taken it off, but luckily I have found it each time.
  • VintageWife
    November 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Bump
  • FrumpyMama
    November 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Around 3 months? I think. I used to fasten it in the little snap at the the top of the zipper so it would get too tight. 

• sreichelt26
    November 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM
    6 months only because I hadn't heard of it sooner. She bathes in water only so the only time it's come off is when she went swimming.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts