Natural Birth & Parenting

TrentsMom84
Lauren's Home water birth (pics-minor TMI)
November 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I had a couple contractions an hour all day on Halloween. I was 41+1 so finally having something happen was encouraging. Jay put Trent to bed and ran to the store for a few things and I went to bed after a bath about 10pm.

Trent woke up at 1am and despite Jay trying he never went back to bed. About 1:30 I had a really intense contraction that was hard to handle laying down, the next contraction my water broke. I changed and spent a while handling them on hands and knees and then got in the tub. When the tub wasn't working I had Jay call my doula because I didn't want to deal with contractions by myself anymore (he was entertaining Trent). My doula (M) showed up about 3am and contractions slowed down. I thought for sure that things were petering out and I'd be sending her home. She did counter pressure on my hips while I stood during contractions-standing made them less intense. She suggested I try to rest in between so I sat on the birth ball and put my head on the bed.

At this point the contractions got stronger and every time I had one I leaked more amniotic fluid. They were so intense I felt like I couldn't handle them and wasn't getting much break. I thought to myself if I wasn't getting close to transition I wouldn't be able to do much more and even though I knew an epidural wasn't going to remove the contractions the allure of one was definitely there. M suggested I pee since it had been a while and I got very little out and had back to back contractions while I was sitting there. Once I stood up I decided to get in the pool because that was going to be my last thing I tried before I gave up. I got in on hands and knees and the next contraction I let out a guttural noise and my body started pushing. M asked what I was feeling (she was still doing counter pressure) and I yelled "I'm pushing". She said "yeah I realize that" and I heard her get her phone and say "come, she's feeling pushy". My midwife (K) lives across town and I have no idea how she managed to make it from being asleep in bed to in my birth pool in 30 minutes but she did. Once I started pushing I finally realized that baby was going to be born at home and the pain of contractions was gone and replaced by the pain of a baby crowning. K showed up and the next contraction her head was out. Next contraction I pushed but she was still in so K reached down and upwrapped the cord from around her. Next contraction I pushed and she still didn't come so K felt and noticed that she had one shoulder still inside but it was already past my pelvis. So she told me to push as hard as I could on the next one and finally she was out. Later we realized that her chest was larger than her head so that's why she was a little hung up. Jay got in the pool at the end and caught. M took a video while we peaked and saw that she was a girl.

Everything went really well and was a totally different experience from Trent. I don't know if it was just the different situation or because she was my second but I actually had an urge to push and every push I could feel the progress being made. We were all checked over and in bed sleeping about 8am. My first thought after having her was that it wasn't so bad and I could totally handle another birth like that but I still think at this point I'm done having babies :)

Replies

• Nolanzo
    by Nolanzo
    November 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    Amazing... wonderful story :) thanks so much for sharing! She's precious :)
  • stormystar15
    November 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Such an amazing and inspirational story! Congrats and she's beautiful.
  • kaysumomma
    November 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Awesone! Congratulations!!

• bellaamore
    November 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Man, i loved my homebirth. We tried to have a water birth, but the heating element went out in the birthing pool and it was the middle of december. Lol.

I stayed in the tub as long as possible, but it wouldnt cover my belly. I kept having to flip. :)

Congrats on your baby! 

• hapababies
    November 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    How old is Trent? He is so cute in his little pajamas and what a great story you are going to get to tell him one day. :)
    Congratulations!
  • lactatingloon
    November 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    Love the pictures of your family! You look beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • jellyphish
    November 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    Aw!! SOO sweet! Congratulations!
  • Mrs.Salz
    November 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Congratulations :)

• WackadooMom
    November 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Congrats! 

• CowgirlSoldier
    November 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

such a beautiful birthing story. Thank you for sharing your joyous moment! 

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts