Natural Birth & Parenting

TrentsMom84
Lauren's Home water birth (pics-minor TMI)
November 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I had a couple contractions an hour all day on Halloween. I was 41+1 so finally having something happen was encouraging. Jay put Trent to bed and ran to the store for a few things and I went to bed after a bath about 10pm.

Trent woke up at 1am and despite Jay trying he never went back to bed. About 1:30 I had a really intense contraction that was hard to handle laying down, the next contraction my water broke. I changed and spent a while handling them on hands and knees and then got in the tub. When the tub wasn't working I had Jay call my doula because I didn't want to deal with contractions by myself anymore (he was entertaining Trent). My doula (M) showed up about 3am and contractions slowed down. I thought for sure that things were petering out and I'd be sending her home. She did counter pressure on my hips while I stood during contractions-standing made them less intense. She suggested I try to rest in between so I sat on the birth ball and put my head on the bed.

At this point the contractions got stronger and every time I had one I leaked more amniotic fluid. They were so intense I felt like I couldn't handle them and wasn't getting much break. I thought to myself if I wasn't getting close to transition I wouldn't be able to do much more and even though I knew an epidural wasn't going to remove the contractions the allure of one was definitely there. M suggested I pee since it had been a while and I got very little out and had back to back contractions while I was sitting there. Once I stood up I decided to get in the pool because that was going to be my last thing I tried before I gave up. I got in on hands and knees and the next contraction I let out a guttural noise and my body started pushing. M asked what I was feeling (she was still doing counter pressure) and I yelled "I'm pushing". She said "yeah I realize that" and I heard her get her phone and say "come, she's feeling pushy". My midwife (K) lives across town and I have no idea how she managed to make it from being asleep in bed to in my birth pool in 30 minutes but she did. Once I started pushing I finally realized that baby was going to be born at home and the pain of contractions was gone and replaced by the pain of a baby crowning. K showed up and the next contraction her head was out. Next contraction I pushed but she was still in so K reached down and upwrapped the cord from around her. Next contraction I pushed and she still didn't come so K felt and noticed that she had one shoulder still inside but it was already past my pelvis. So she told me to push as hard as I could on the next one and finally she was out. Later we realized that her chest was larger than her head so that's why she was a little hung up. Jay got in the pool at the end and caught. M took a video while we peaked and saw that she was a girl.

Everything went really well and was a totally different experience from Trent. I don't know if it was just the different situation or because she was my second but I actually had an urge to push and every push I could feel the progress being made. We were all checked over and in bed sleeping about 8am. My first thought after having her was that it wasn't so bad and I could totally handle another birth like that but I still think at this point I'm done having babies :)

Replies

• Nolanzo
    by Nolanzo
    November 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    Amazing... wonderful story :) thanks so much for sharing! She's precious :)
  • stormystar15
    November 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Such an amazing and inspirational story! Congrats and she's beautiful.
  • kaysumomma
    November 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Awesone! Congratulations!!

• bellaamore
    November 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Man, i loved my homebirth. We tried to have a water birth, but the heating element went out in the birthing pool and it was the middle of december. Lol.

I stayed in the tub as long as possible, but it wouldnt cover my belly. I kept having to flip. :)

Congrats on your baby! 

• hapababies
    November 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    How old is Trent? He is so cute in his little pajamas and what a great story you are going to get to tell him one day. :)
    Congratulations!
  • lactatingloon
    November 17, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    Love the pictures of your family! You look beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • jellyphish
    November 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    Aw!! SOO sweet! Congratulations!
  • Mrs.Salz
    November 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Congratulations :)

• WackadooMom
    November 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Congrats! 

• CowgirlSoldier
    November 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

such a beautiful birthing story. Thank you for sharing your joyous moment! 

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN