Natural Birth & Parenting

alteschulemom
My First No 'Poo Week
November 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I have always hated washing my hair, it took to much time, it was wet, and then I couldn't do anything with it.  If I used the blow drier it would be a frizzy mess and it took way to long to do this.  I would usually just put it up in a ponytail and go about my day.

Last week I washed my hair with my Whole Foods Shampoo/Conditioner.  I have been using this for a few months now and I must say I kinda liked it.  It smelled like Lavender and it made my hair, eh ok.

I haven't washed my hair since.  Today I washed it with the baking soda and ACV conditioner.  I was extremely skepitcal of this and thought it was way over the top (says I who also thought cloth pads were over the top and now swear by them). 

Let me be the first to say I have fallen in love with my long brown locks all over again.  The colors it brought out, the softness of my hair.  WOW.  I am so happy with it right now.  After my SO saw it she said "Oh me next, me next!"

Just had to share.

Replies

• graycalico
    November 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    I've been thinking about doing this too. I think I'll start Tuesday after my dr appt. you talked me into it.
  • cryleerhi
    November 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I tried doing this once.  By the 2nd week I couldn't stand my hair.  It didn't smell good and it was super greasy on top and very dry on bottom.  With being pregnant the smell made me sick so I gave in and washed my hair with shampoo/ conditioner.  I would like to try it again since my hair isn't as long now but afraid I'll get the same result again. 

• chiarore
    November 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    I did it for two years until we moved across the country... And with the water change I never could get it quite right again! I still only shampoo once a week though with a shampoo bar, and do a vinegar rinse instead of conditioner. If you can get the balance right it does such awesome things for your hair :)
  • Nicolle_09
    November 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few month for your hair to adjust back to the natural way its suppost to be and stop being super greasy. 

Quoting cryleerhi:

I tried doing this once.  By the 2nd week I couldn't stand my hair.  It didn't smell good and it was super greasy on top and very dry on bottom.  With being pregnant the smell made me sick so I gave in and washed my hair with shampoo/ conditioner.  I would like to try it again since my hair isn't as long now but afraid I'll get the same result again. 

• Nicolle_09
    November 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I started my no-poo journey yesterday and so far I love it! Im blogging about it lol I noticed as soon as my hair dried there was a diffenence and Im pleased. 

• MissSarah04
    November 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM
    I started my no poo journey yesterday too!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

I started my no-poo journey yesterday and so far I love it! Im blogging about it lol I noticed as soon as my hair dried there was a diffenence and Im pleased. 

• FebPenguins
    November 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I am freshly on the no poo journey too! Like minds?! I love this group!!

• maddiesmommy5
    November 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I have been considering doing this, we have a well and hard water can I still do it?

• MissSarah04
    November 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    I read quite a few blogs before starting. It is definitely possible with hard water. I would google hard water noo poo routines to see what others did in case the "standard" baking soda and vinegar method doesn't work as well.

As with any noo poo routine, a lot will be trial and error anyway. I am starting with the routine that seemed most popular in blogs but I know I will be switching it up as we go.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

I have been considering doing this, we have a well and hard water can I still do it?

• alteschulemom
    November 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

This morning, my hair is still soft and light.  The color is still there, it isn't at all greasy.  It usually takes a day or two for my hair to get greasy so we'll see what happens.  I'm wearing it down to work for the first time...... I can't remember the last time.

I might try honey next week when I do this again, but I'm happy with what I did already.  We'll see how long it lasts before it gets kinda greasy, that is what I am most curious about.  I know it will take a long time to get it to the way it's supposed to be but for now I'm loving it.

Natural Birth & Parenting

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts